Sign in to follow this  
peerpressure

Breaking into the business..looking for used rig

Im soaking up all info/advice. I have a neighbor who has a rig which sparked my interest into the business. Using servicemagic for referals and leads he is turning work down. I have found this setup on craigslist

Pressure Washer 3500 psi

I would like to be versitile in a range of what the rig can do and do with speed. He told me 4.5 gpm isnt quite enough esp with surface cleaners which it has a 20 inch...he has told me i dont need a generator as well. definetly how water capable as well .He has 6 gpm twin with twin 20 hp motors for 2 wands 2 people. I will only need one unless i can get a deal and it doesnt cost much more for twin. I want it to be able to go from mobile detailing all the way to commercial and concrete cleaning at a speedy pace. I dont want to be borderline powerful enough either. I have anywherre from 4k-7k to invest on a setup. id love some insight experience advice etc...on where to look what to def have and def not have on a setup. let me know guys thanks!

Please go to your settings and complete your signature line. It the House rules.

You will get better responses when we know who we are talking to.

Welcome to TGS.

First, you need to add a signature to your user profile to get any kind of response. I'll say right off the bat, that if you think that Service Magic is the answer to a successful business plan, you are sorrily mistaken. This business is/can be a money pit. Don't make the huge mistake of trying to do everything. Pick an area of interest and focus on that i.e; roof cleaning, flat work, decks, whatever. Also, use some of that startup money for advertising and maybe some training.

That rig would work well for residential type cleaning. I wouldn't even consider it for commercial work.

Hello (Add Name Here), the washing part of the business is the easy part, it's all the other stuff thats hard. Marketing, Accounting, Paperwork, Insurance, Sales, Customer Contact...etc

Long and short....... Hot Water rig 5.5 gpm or higher (I prefer 8 gpm), duel axle trailer, 325 or 525 tank. If you keep your eye out in craigslist and ebay you will find a good deal. I suggest you wait and do quite a bit more research before making your jump (Season almost over) Take some Small Business classes. I really suggest going to a round table meeting. The next one put on by The National Cleaning Expo will be in Tampa Fla. the end of July. 200 Pressure Washing Contractors will be there, you will find quite a bit of knowledge there.

$4-7 k will get you what you need, no problem.

great thanks for the info. my friend started by doing lot washes for 1 dollar a car and did about 750 cars a week for 2-3 dealers. I am trying to figure out the best things to focus on. We have a lot of roofs out here with the alea streaks I could target and just do lot washes to start. im a great sales man and dont mind that aspect and have quick books pro as well. so the season isnt all year in some aspects? im in ga

Does anyone mind giving some advice on a business plan or helpful marketing tips? want to do decks?staining roof algae cleaning driveways and the option to do commercial if/when I get the business. Also will do lot washes on cars if/when just for supplemental income. any advice is welcomed. thanks!

I suggest staying away from washing gars at dealers. Lots of hassle and need extra labor to manage hose, dry vehicles etc. Too many "groups" out there doing in for practically nothing, driving up to the lot in their 20 year old f150 rust bucket.. But the lots don't care, they just want it done cheap! We do primarily flatwork, commercial and love it! Got ta have a hot machine for that. We run a 4000 psi 9 GPM, gotta love those cleaning units!