Sign in to follow this  
decker

Strip or Sand Clear Stain

Question

The HO wants me to put on new stain on the horizontals but not the verticals - the horizontal mostly flaked or peeled off. There's a light tinted stain on there now, but most of it peeled off. They want a clear stain again, so I figure I will be back there next year to reapply, regardless of which route I choose. The HO wants me to sand and stain, instead of strip/sand/stain because...he wants to save money (surprise)!!

My concern about the sand/stain route is that the stain won't get fully absorbed and it will peel or what not - what do you guys think?

10 answers to this question

Sanding will take 4-5 times as long, and certainly would not be cheaper than proberly cleaning, pressure washing and brightening the wood. You will leave remnants inbetween the boards if you rely only on sanding.

Maybe you can mask off the verticals to avoid stripping the stain on that portion? Are they stained with the same stain as the floor?

Hi Charlie,

It is a unique deck, so masking/tarping it would be some work. The verticals on the deck wouldn't be a big problem to mask, and they are stained the same colour. But the deck is about 20 or so feet off the ground, surrounded by a lattice skirt that is around 40 feet in length and the lattice is a solid white stain with posts that have clear stain on it.

The reason I prefer sanding is that masking would be difficult and incurs some risk. Because of that, I wouldn't mind sanding even if it took a bit longer. There is the risk that stripper gets on parts it shouldn't - obviously I would do my best to tarp everything off, but its going to be dripping down underneath and over the sides, so I am concerned about being able to full shield everything.

Cons to sanding:

Getting in between the boards - very good point.

Will the new stain absorb properly. I do not want to have it flake and peel, so I want to make sure I get it nicely prepped for the new stain to full absorb.

My main concern is ensuring the it doesn't flake or peel - do you do yearly maintenance for people who want the clear sealer? What does it look like after one year usually?

I am going to do a test tomorrow to see how easily it comes off with sanding. The only other option I can think of is using a cleaner instead of stripper, as I wouldn't have to worry about masking off all the lattice.

Edited by decker

Sounds like a job that's not worth it to me. I don't personally offer a clear, it does nothing and if it lasted a year you'd be lucky.

What exactly is on there now? If its peeling and flaking it sounds like something bad (acrylic?). I'd be nervous promising full removal to the extent that a clear would look 100 percent on that job.

Stain is oil based, ici wood pride. I am gonna go do some tests this week to see how easy it comes off. Customers usually listen to my advice not to put on a clear, so I don't have to deal with complaints that it didn't last, etc...There are bunch of other services I can sell to the HO, so that's mainly why I am interested. Either way, I already told the HO I would be back next year to reapply, so I'll go from there I suppose.

DJ

We do tons of clear decks, because people love the look. I feel that clear is the best looking coating on cedar, but it does require yearly maintenance. After a year clear will look partially gray. We use Ready Seal for our deck work, and it protects the wood from moisture mostly, and does nothing for UV protection. I wouldn't bother sanding at all, just strip / neutralize, and seal.

unfortunately we dont have ready seal in canada! I am going to look into some clear stains that will fit the bill in terms of looks and maintenance. I was thinking sikkens, seal king or sansin. It is really a matter of finding the right tone that fits the rest of the deck.

.... I was thinking sikkens, seal king or sansin. It is really a matter of finding the right tone that fits the rest of the deck.

DJ,

Ouch! That is your choice in the Great North Woods of the Beautiful Canada? What ever works for you. God Bless the United States of America!

we got great woods. I would be very interested in trying out ready seal, but I am assuming there are some VOC issues in getting it over the border.