Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

sreaks on paint from ox

Question

did a deck yesterday with a maintenance coat of WT. He said last time the paint streaked on walls under deck. I had used efc and ox. This time the paint job was brand new with a good alkyd paint. I used Restore, then a weak mix of citric 8 oz per gal. Still got streaks and I could tell from the spatter marks right above the deck, that it was the acid. I wiped with mineral spirits and still did not get all the streaking or spatters out.

Anyone have this happen? How to fix and prevent it from happening further.

4 answers to this question

Great question....I've had a lot problem on that with hardiplank siding. Heavy rinsing pre and post ox helps but I dont know how to remove them once it gets on there. If I notice a deck that left ox streaks on the siding, I try to let the HO know and offer to touch up the paint. I've done touch up painting on probably a half a dozen or so decks that suffered that problem.

Be curious to see if anyone else has a good idea though

Jon,

With percarbs, we mix our citric down to about 4 - 6 oz. / gal. dependent on the wood. Have never seen a problem with paint old or new, but maybe my customers are not so observant. If it was old paint I'd say you just cleaned it, but with good high quality new paint, I do not have a clue.

We have had the problem with maintenance free siding, certain siding has a "chaulky look" (about 10% of the Maint. free siding), we get a little stain on it, wipe with simple green or any chemical, and leaves a streak. the only way to get it off is to come back with some kind of pressure washing cleaner, apply the cleaner, then pressure wash the cleaner off, the only way to decrease problem is wipe off with a dry rag when a little stain gets on house