Sign in to follow this  
eric

build or buy a pressure washer

Hi,

I have a 2400 psi 3 gpm cold water p.w. There are places where I can buy a 7-12 hp horizontal / direct drive shaft engine and also buy a 3000 psi 4 gpm pump. Should I go this route or just buy one at a store.

Please post pros and cons of both. I think building would be cheaper , right??

thanks

I have not seen any situation where it is cheaper to build a cold water pressure washer. (unless the parts are remanufactured or used) You will need need 11-13 HP for 3000psi @4gpm. By the time you factor in a frame, unloader, fittings, etc, it is cheaper to buy a p/w ready built. And don't forget about the warranty.

Typical prices:

13 HP Honda engine 650.00

3000psi 4gpm pump 200.00

Quality Frame 100.00

Unloader 50.00

Warranty & Service Priceless!

And don't forget when you buy a p/w you get a hose, wand, & nozzles.

Sam's - HD - Lowes ........$999 gets you the whole deal ready to roll.

Warranty & Service Priceless!

And don't forget when you buy a p/w you get a hose, wand, & nozzles.

Sam's - HD - Lowes ........$999 gets you the whole deal ready to roll.

Would you recommend one of those pw from HD or Lowe's???

For about $300.00 more, you can get a good belt drive cold water machine, which should last you a good bit longer, and will be more reliable.

I agree with Tony...His price list is at $1000.00, and that doesn't include the hose, wand, tips, etc. I'd say you'd have at least $1200.00 in it when you were through, not including any shipping you might have to pay, and the time it will take you to put it all together.

Eric,

Don't forget the injector $20.00, thermal relief valve $8.00, pressure releif valve $10.00, and a incoming supply water filter $10.00.

Unless you are mechanicly inclined you might be getting in over your head building a machine. You would need to look at the mfgs.torque curve for the engine you are interested in. Setting the rpm too high will reduce engine and pump life. Set the rpm to low and you won't have your gpm or psi. Pump output is rated without an unloader installed. A 4.0 gpm pump with an unloader installed will put out around 3.8 gpm. Some p.w. manufactures round up or use the pre-unloader numbers.

Do you have a tachometer to set the engine rpm or a pressure gauge to set the unloader?

The pump and engine would still be covered by a manufactures warranty even though you assembed the components. Repair service may be slower for you than Lowes, Home Depot ect.

When you purchase a store bought unit you are paying for the engineering and design. The old saying you get what you pay for usually holds true.

I just looked at a flyer that has a brand new 13 hp Honda 3000 psi 4.0 gpm belt drive for $1,170.28!!!!!!!!!!!

This price does not include shipping. The unit comes with gun, nozzles, injector, 2-50 feet h.p. hoses and quick connects.

Very hard price to beat!