Sign in to follow this  
CCPC

white on brick

Question

House with brick. the brick area underneath two of the potted pants on the front steps have really bad white stains. Not sure what this is- need to remove it - any ideas on what this may be and any sugestions on what to use to remove it would be great.

13 answers to this question

I did a search on previous posts, but I figured the senerio being that the problem is underneath a couple of potted plants that the specific info would help someone pin point what this is and how best to remove it.

When it was wet it did disapear to some extent and then became alot more noticable after drying. Could this be efflorescence? Would Muratic acid be something worth trying on these white stains and if so to what dillution?

I've seen it before. I think has something to do with the mortar, maybe a mineral of some kind, but I have no idea what will take it off. Heat and pressure don't work. I wouldn't mind knowing what does if anyone has an idea. Nick

I *think* I remember reading that HF (hydrofluoric acid) will do well to remove efflorescence. Not sure where people buy it, though.

James,

The planters are made of plastic, but I think whatever has caused the white discoloration is from the drain holes on the bottom of the planters. As far as fertelizer, I am not sure what they use or how often.

Seymore - Ryan,

Thinks for the recommendations I will look into that.

Paul UK,

My guess is that it might be efforessence as well. What is the best and safest way to treat that disease? I will be returning there on Wed. so ordering chems will not probably not be an option. I will have to find somthing local.

efforessence is salts leaching out of the brick...if you try to p\w it away all you do is drive them back in for them to leach back out again....i doubt if you will find anything local to use..i would dry brush(a stiff brush) the area for a few mins and rinse with a little water and brush again...repeat a few times.

with it being a small area it might help a bit....sometimes you can only tell what you have achieved is with a before and after pic...you can try a little brick cleaner.....otherwise you need go to prosocco or dietrich(spelling ?) and buy the proper chem....as i said with shipping it might not be feasable...

paul.