Sign in to follow this  
John Doherty

Vacu-Boom Question

Considering getting a Vacu-Boom, the thing that will lock the purchase is if it will pick up water against a curb. I've seen loads of pictures but none picking up at a gutter against a curb. I need to prevent water from running along the gutter, the curbs run from 90 to 120 degrees.

Anyone use one like this?

Best Regards,

JD

Why can you not let it go to the gutter then pick up the water?

Don't tell me they are over restrictive on that too? if so you need to get involved and explain that we do pick it all up but at the low point and it is IMPOSSIBLE to clean the curb if you cannot pick it up in the street.

Main thing is you do pick it up.

I have a vacuboom and just trashed the vacuum part, just not good enough, you have to move it every 25 feet as it does not have enough suction.

I just bought a Nikro and installed the sump pump out of the vacuboom.

http://www.nikro.com/products/moreinfo.asp?i=298

Call and ask for Randy, tell him I sent you. The vacuum your seeing on that page, the 55 gallon one is much more powerful then vacubooms vacuum.

Remember they do not make the vacuum but add a sump pump to it and put their name on it.

As for the tubes, they are next to go once I figure a better way to pick up the water.

Nikro at this time does not install submersable sump pumps but they are thinking of it.

Here is my experiences with Vacuboom, tubes wear out in about a year and half and each cost $250, they admit they don't last long so one down there.

Motors are small and run hot, I had mine for 2 years and worked it hard, two weeks ago one hour to go on big job one motor burned up, cost to replace $244. Could get discount for just under $200, so still close to $500 total, add a few bucks more plus shipping and buy the Nikro.

Jon

Thanks for the info. Jon! To clarify, the waste water runs down a driveway, to the street (the gutter) and along the curb to a dam at the low grade end of the property line.

Now what I want to do is pick the water up and move it 50' to 100'. I want to place a boom here and not a dam, (heavy to pick up and put down 5 times a day!). What I'm wondering is will the water get around the boom where the curb and gutter meet.

Thanks Again,

JD

Thanks Alan,

If you can get a picture that would be great. I was thinking you could run a boom or 2, parallel to the curb (against the curb on the gutter), not across the gutter (from the curb to the street, on the gutter).

Thanks again to you and Jon for taking the time to help me and others out!

JD

Here are two pictures for reference only. No that is not my water and the tube was not set up to operate, just placed there for looks.

You will need to clear the gutter of any large debris that may prevent the boom from getting good suction. You then place in gutter with the port side in and angle the tail end to divert the water to the port which if close enough to the curb, will not allow water to pass. Put the vacuum hose on the downhill side.

What kind of vacuum did you plan to use?

post-12-137772138626_thumb.jpg

post-12-137772138631_thumb.jpg

You can add a sump pump to almost any wet vac. I say almost because you need the room inside to mount it, as well as having enough room for the pump to turn on before it shuts off the internal float.

Eagle Power makes the one that Vacu Boom modifies with a sump pump and banjo fittings and then calls their own. Having a generator will come in handy, rather than having to run extension cords.

I am working on an account that will require water recovery and instead of spending $2500 for a vacu-boom I have opted to build one.

Lowes or home Depot sells wet dry vacs that have an automatic pump out system. Why not just buy some nylon sand bags and dam up the water and then suck it up with that and have it pump into another tank.

It gets the water up and does not cost as much. Or if need more force, buy a sump pump.

Jonathan in a word, not enough power to suck that water up.

I can suck up water and lift it about 20 feet up and also run 100 feet of hose at the same time.

OR I can use 2 50 foot hose, one for the tubes and another using a wand.

Vacuboom cannot do that, their vacuum does not have the power for it, Nikro does and it kicks butt.

I am working on an account that will require water recovery and instead of spending $2500 for a vacu-boom I have opted to build one.

Lowes or home Depot sells wet dry vacs that have an automatic pump out system. Why not just buy some nylon sand bags and dam up the water and then suck it up with that and have it pump into another tank.

It gets the water up and does not cost as much. Or if need more force, buy a sump pump.

Jonathan,

You can get a less expensive vacuum, but you need to check the specs on the unit. You want to have a minimum of 85" water lift, or roughly 6Hg of Mercury, as well as a minimum of 100 cfm. Shop Vacs at Home Depot often have lots of cfm but are lacking in the lift category and average about 60". If you were just vacuuming up dust and a little water that would work, but you need more lift to get water in large amounts.

As a comparison, that Nikro that Jon refers to is 230 cfm and 110" of lift.

The vacuboom single motor has 101 cfm and 87" lift

The Vacuboom dual motor has 202 cfm and 87" lift

I have jumped into a conversation about water recovery under another post but can not seem to find it. I was talking about building a vacuboom type machine and brought up the use of a wet/dry vac from lowes or home depot that has an automatic pump out system, damming the water up with nylon sand bags and then suking the water up with the machine.

Someone informed me that it would not be strong enough. How about getting some socks and laying them down infront of burlap sand bags. Would the socks not absorb much of the grease/oil and then the rest would absorb into the sandbags. I realize this would make the bags very heavy and there would still be a little water left over.

Could this be pulled off? Without a vac I realize as I said there would be a little water left over (and probably minimal grease and oil). Grease and oil run into the storm drians every time it rains and rain picks it up. Furthermore, with a wet / dry vac I could get up even more.

I am trying to figure this out early incase I have to have one I will not have to figure it out as I go. Possibly learn from your mistakes (or successes).