Sign in to follow this  
hotroddr32

Refinishing Rainbow playset

Hi! New Member here.

My wife and I picked up a Rainbow Sun Castle playset off craigslist a couple of weeks ago, and I've got it taken apart, getting ready to refinish it. The owners before us put some kind of half-done water-based stain on it, leaving it pretty ugly. I have pressure-washed and stripped as much of the old stain as possible, and plan to sand and stain in the next 2 weeks. What more do I need to do to get a good bond? I've already hit it in a few spots with some 60 grit, and am happy with what I see so far. I only gave 325 bucks for this set, so I want to do this right.

I have no experience with staining, much less with staining redwood, so I cherish your opinions. I'm torn on brand of stain too. I'm thinking Olympic Max, Superdeck, or a Cabot semi-solid.

Thanks for any help you may give.

Armstrong Clark is a product that was formulated in the heart of redwood country in California, It has beenin use for years on redwood and we have also used it on redwood ourselves. Contact Tom & Barbara Vogel at ACR Products to get it, their number is 610-253-8005. You'll find the manufacturers website with colors here: Oil Based coatings for Wood, Sealant & Stain: Restore and Protect - Armstrong-Clark Co.

You have already stripped it, once you are done sanding you are ready to ally the sealer/stain. Don't go over 80 grit on the sandpaper.

Beth

hotroddr, the finer grit tends to close up the grain of the wood and makes the stain harder to penetrate. 60 grit will keep it smooth to avoid any splinters so you shouldn't need to go any higher

Gotcha. Thats what I thought, just wanted to make sure I was on the same page. I got several pieces sanded today, it looks good. When I finish sanding, will I still need to rinse with the brightner, or will blowing off with a air hose and wipe down be good enough before staining.

I had to replace several pieces of the redwood that was on the ground, and due to the inability to find redwood around here, I replaced these pieces with PTP. My next step will be to apply a solid stain to the playset and then turn the girls loose on it. Question... I need to hide the differences in the woods. Which brand makes the best semi-solid or solid stain that will look the best for me?