Sign in to follow this  
mhpoole

process for restoring multi level deck

Question

2 story deck one right on top of the other. Needs to be stripped and refinished. I have done these in the past and dont like to do them. Please tell me your process, which one do you do first?

Personally i do the bottom one first otherwise the stripper would not work as well if the top was done first and the bottom deck was already wet. After the bottom deck is stripped i go to the top and strip in and constantly keep the bottom deck wet. Then brighten the top deck and rinse. Following up with the bottom deck brighten and rinse. I usually do not tape off or use plastic i just use alot of water. I feel using plastic sometimes gives you a false sense of security and you may not use as much water as you should.

Please share your method.

3 answers to this question

Mark,

Seems like you have a good handle on it. That's the way I do it too. I do a lot of work at a nearby condo complex that has upper and lower decks. They are all uniform size and construction.

The real pains are when refinishing the upper but not the lower. Then we have to do a lot of tarping, and like you said, you still have to be real careful, because sometimes a little stripper weasles under the tarp and bums you right out.