Sign in to follow this  
apom

Need helping stripping solid stain and paint off a deck

Deck looks amazing! Just my opinion but I would stay away from a clear oil at the very least so you don't end up highlighting any of the residual red in the nail holes or cracks. Something with some pigment will give you longer life and a more even finish.

But honestly it could go either way since you've done so well in removing the old stain so long as the cracks don't bother you too much.

apom, your effort, and result, is excellent - isn't it wonderful to see that bare wood?

RE: stain selection

I'm a complete novice compared to the regular posters on these forums, but, most folks seem to prefer a quality oil-based semi-transparent finish. Check out some TGS gallery, &/or business website photos, from regulars like "Beth n Rod", "bigchaz", etc. for end results.

Since you went to all that trouble to expose the bare wood, a semi-transparent finish will let the underlying wood show, while still giving good UV protection.

If interested, I just posted some B&A photos "Wood Tux Amaretto on PT Pine" (FORUM: Shop Talk > Projects, etc.)

Hey guys I'm almost at the stain step. I installed all the balusters and power washed the deck on a low setting on Wednesday. I just used plain water, nothing else. There are a few dark patches on the deck. You can see them picture 5. I don't know if this is mold or from to much sun? Anyways sanding did not get rid of it. How do I proceed? Can I put a bit of oxiclean on the spots and then rinse it off? Or do I need a deck cleaner or brightner? So far the only locally available products are Thompsons deck clean and brightner and 'eco wash' products made by concrobium. It's to late in the season for me to order stuff over the internet.

Edited by apom

Finally finished it yesterday!! I can't believe how much work it was to strip a solid. Well worth the effort though. The deck looks so much better. Thanks everyone for the help. For the stain I went with Cabot ATO 3400 formula in amberwood.

post-7000-137772353108_thumb.jpg

post-7000-137772352886_thumb.jpg

post-7000-137772352946_thumb.jpg

post-7000-137772353032_thumb.jpg

post-7000-13777235307_thumb.jpg

celtwheel I like the idea of using Extreme Solutions HD-80. Easy is the way I like to get my projects finished. This deck did sound like one awful project. Thanks again for the information. I will remember to use the HD-80 on my next big stripping project.

post-2556-137772375433_thumb.jpg

My first strip job..!! 5 years back on a big L-shaped deck with 4 layers of solid & then white paint... HO did agree to replace a few railings that were rotten though... HD-80 & 2 strips, then sealed with Wood Tux Warm Honey Gold... I live by HD-80 & a gallon of low-tox for tough jobs. Dwell time & keeping it wet IS KEY. That homeowner should have called a pro for his strip job. Wonder what his opportunity cost would have been shortly after he started..?

post-2556-137772375435_thumb.jpg