Sign in to follow this  
svp07

Redwood Sding

Question

I was asked to do a house with redwood siding tong and groove running vertically. THe sealer which is on the house is Cabots Clear Solutions Oil base. I went and tried a test spot and EFC-38 removes it. I applied the EFC-38, let it dwell, and then rinsed with a garden hose, thumb over the opening. I had light furring any suggestions? I finish with the citralic.

10 answers to this question

Steve

If the siding is pretty old they may be noway to stop the furring redwood is just so soft.

P/washing when you clean it may take some of the dead wood off and it may not furr after that.

Good luck

Well that has a lot to do with age of the wood,using less pressure will lesson the furring but not completely

If you are using a chem to strip away the previous stain the chem can be eating away a layer of wood that will make it fur when it comes off.

The strength of the chem has a lot also to do with making it fur.

Redwood is very tricky not to make it fur if it can be helped at all.Sometimes the homeowner just has to understand by the process of cleaning the furring may happen.To me it will lay down once you stain it and my not be as noticeable.

I don't really know the strength of the EFC. I put some in a spray bottle and mixed it up. Probably close to full strength. The home owner did one board with his own washer, some tiny Karcher thing. It did not look like it furred for him but he blew all the soft wood fibers out from inbetween the hard ones. I also do not know if a weaker EFC mix will take off the Cabots Clear 3000.

Wood felting is going to be more of a result of the wood than the chem strength, pressure, etc. I've stripped redwood with a strong chem, high psi, and very little felting. I've washed decks with a weak percarb, low pressure, and lots of felting. Same goes for any wood substrate. Simply put, all jobs are different and you need to have figured in before hand how to deal with these problems. Either bid to ALWAYS buff, or alert the customer to the potential problem and tell him it will be extra if it happens.

Buff with either an Osborne Brush or the pads that Beth sells. They are lighter. I prefer the Osborne for price, time savings, and it doesn't leave pieces of buffing pad snagged all over the deck. Different advantages to both.

The furring is pretty light, when the sealer (Cabot's Clear 3000) is applied will it "glue/stick" the fur back to the house? Furr length is a 1/16 or less I think...

Goes on a Makita buffer, threads on. Brian, all I know is I use a course 6" brush, go to www.permachink.com, they sell them and that is what you need. Work great, cost $60-$80 each and could probably get at least 10-15 decks out of one. The savings is in not having to change out pads, and not having to pluck out the 3M threads.

jon