Sign in to follow this  
Green Power Clean

What is the optimum PW and cleaning solution for decks?

Question

I am a newbie and lining up an adjustable system (adjustable GPM, PSI, and Temp). Most decks and fencing here is redwood which is pretty soft. At full steam will be able to do 5 GPM, 4000 PSI but that would destroy a deck (the burner will be off of course for a wooden deck work). Muzzle velocity is equally effected by adjusting either flow or pressure, but is one better bring down than the other? I expect to do a test on each job with a safe setting and if needed gradually increase the power to improve work-speed without damage. What does your experience say is a good range and starting point?

And saw one post here that made sense that the chemical should be doing the work. What is the preferred chemicals for redwood? This is in northern CA, so need to be environmentally compliant. What are good resources to research eco-compliant chemicals?

Thanks.

6 answers to this question

Mark, Welcome to the circus....

First, i'll tell you to do some serious reading of past posts. You assumption that "muzzle velocity" is equally affected by reducing flow or pressure is incorrect. Never reduce flow. Adjust pressure by using larger orifice nozzles, not by adjusting the unloader. Deck work especiallt redwood, you should keep it under 1000psi for sure. And search - stripping decks, neutralizing, Oxalic acid, sodium hydroxide, sodium hypochlorite for starters. This should keep you busy for the next couple of months....

It's obvious that you think procedurally/scientifically, which gives you a better mentality than much of the industry ( lol) so just read like Big Mike says first and follow his advice.

Yes, generally I start with the machine on "low" and then move up. It's not only the type of wood but also the specific deck and condition. This is one reason why I don't use a truck mounted rig. I like to be able to adjust my PW quickly and keep it right next to the work site. I do sometimes reduce flow but that's just a personal preference. Our PW are about the same psi/gpm.