Sign in to follow this  
Doug Dahlke

removing gutter streaks in cold weather

Question

I have been using F-13 for gutters for a few years and it works great in warm weather. It doesn't work when the temps get colder. Anyone have a recommendation for a cleaner that works well in cold weather that can be brushed on?

10 answers to this question

If you have hot water . warm up the metal first and add hot water to the mix and brush.

Thanks Jim. I have tried that but I am usually washing siding too and don't really want to put warm water on that or risk cracking glass or warping something by hitting it with a big temp change. I am quoting a townhome center and really want to see if I can find something that I can just brush on like the F-13 but that will work in the cold. I'll burn a lot of deisel trying to wash all these buildings with warm water.

Some of these 4000+ sq.feet homes have miles of gutters. Takes me forever during these colder periods. When it gets warmer, I am going to try x-jetting f-13 rather than brushing on cleaner. Takes forever and plus my shoulders take a pounding.

Using an Xjet will get the F13 all over the place. The F13 will burn plants so you really want to control how it is applied. Using an Xjet will also make it very difficult to control the ratio and you might end up wasting a larg percent of it on overspray. You might consider using a Deckster (or equivelent) with a tight spray pattern to do long runs of gutter. This is what I use for long low condo runs and if works great. Let it dwell or 5 minutes and hit it with the water.

Must be nice to still be washing this time of year. Right after I finish typing this I've got to get out and plow snow. :(

Edited by Rick2
Addition

I use purple power full strength in winter but I have to spray carburetor cleaner on the brush with the p power it works but gutter streaks are almost impossible to clean once temps get below 60 f...I tried hot water didn't work for me plus I think uv rays have alot to do with it..u know those stereaks are a oxidization prob with the paint so sometimes it's just not cleanable without removing paint a prob I've had in the summer but try the Walmart carb cleaner it works for me.

I agree. Purple power works great but not so well with low temps...It was 29-32f, I used hot water but this did not work well...The gutters looked much better brushing on pruple power full strength, but you can still see some of the oxidation (tiger stripes)... x-jet f-13 gets all over the place as a result I stay away.

I too have used purple power I also noticed streaks left over until the surface dried. The key is the metal being at 50 or above because it cools down your cleaner. Remember how long it takes to warm up old cast iron tubs?