Sign in to follow this  
JITSUBRAD

When to expect an uptick in activity?

Question

This is my first full year in the pressure washing business. I am in TN and I know that the answer will vary based on location, but am wondering....when do you see an uptick in activity?

We are booking a hand full of jobs/week now, but nothing to write home about.

Thanks for your help,

Brad.

15 answers to this question

Personally I wouldn't worry about it if it's only your first year, it takes time to get your name out there. My first year(s) were slow but business has been just crazy busy in recent years. I honestly can't keep up and pass work along to other powerwashers in the area. Hang in there, it'll get better.

This isn't my first year in the business, just the first year by myself. The business is about 7 years old, and I was a partner in it, and bought my partner out.

Was just wondering how things go typically.

Brad.

Sorry, my mistake. I don't know what it's like in the warmer climates but we get slammed up here in Massachusetts from (about) April to November. As I type this it's minus 5 degrees and should be minus 15 or lower tomorrow morning. I would guess business would be a little smoother and spread out in the warmer areas.

What was the customer flow like before you bought the company?

Sporadic. Just like anything, you get what you put in it. It was almost our "business experiment" while in college. Some months were great, some weren't. I decided to buy my buddy out and take a stab at this thing my way.

hey rick i hear you its freezin up here in the northeast I'm from rhode island

Yeah, real cold this morning. In fact I should be at my other job right now at 8:30 this morning (teaching special ed children) but my wife woke me up at 6:00 am to tell me the house is cold. Furnace went out. Looks to be the pressure switch for the cpu gave up, I jumped the switch and it works fine. So I pulled a sick day in order to fix the furnace.

I just got a call a few minutes ago, a wrong number from someone that wanted snowplowing. I answered the phone as "Propower" and she asked me what kind of business it was. To make a long story short... I picked up a roof job for the spring. Funny how those things happen.

That's awesome Rick!

I've got 4 jobs lined up this week. Not great but I'll take it considering it is supposed to snow this week. People don't have exterior maintenance on the brain!

Snow out there? I wouldn't have thought that. Were locked down until at least April but I start to line them up during the winter for the start of the season. Helps to pay for those start-up costs, you know how something always breaks in the first week or two. Usually blow a hose, a pump, or something stupid like that.

but am wondering....when do you see an uptick in activity?

Brad, since you've been in business a while, what do your numbers tell you? Really it depends on how much activity you create. Your region is pretty close to mine. Short answer is March, but we start aggressively Marketing next month to prep for March.

Question, why no website?

Brad, since you've been in business a while, what do your numbers tell you? Really it depends on how much activity you create. Your region is pretty close to mine. Short answer is March, but we start aggressively Marketing next month to prep for March.

Question, why no website?

We have started our marketing now so that people will be familiar with our brand come good weather. I was just curious how it is for the entire industry.

It is currently being built out as we speak. Plan on doing PPC with it, and some Google optimization.

I was just curious how it is for the entire industry.

Can't look at it like that, I'm sure we will be washing before the guys in Minnesota, guys in Fla.& Cali don't stop. Depends on region and area of expertise.

I am in Ga and business is often diluted by hacks running around in beaten rusted trailers and low balling bids. Of course, they are not licensed and typically have no insurance. Marketing is key so that customers know that you are a bonafide, reputable business with very specific services. Every time I post yard signs, hacks would come along and remove them from street corners or posts. I usually see some action starting February, but more likely in March.