Sign in to follow this  
John Doherty

Wiring Pump

I saw this link Alan posted a while ago and I got one. I have no idea how to wire this thing. It's 20 v and 14 amps, it has only a pos and neg wire, no ground. I wired it to a plug and added a wire to ground it (attached a wire to a bolt between the pump housing and mounting bracket and to the ground connection in the plug) with no luck.

Anyone have any electrical expertise they can share? This has to be simple right?

Thanks,

JD

http://www.shurflo.com/pages/Marine/marine_product_sum/marine_sum_docs/general_purpose/aqua_tiger.html

Next time wet both fingers, touch power polls and if your hair sticks straight up you are charged, if not try another battery.

Man your lucky nothing else shorted on you.

So Sparky, if you connect the red to positive 12 volts and the black to negative (ground or earth) 12 volts does that pump still work? or did the insides melt down?

Let us know if the manufacturer will replace the defective pump!

JD,

I just looked at the pump specs on the link you posted. Its rated for 12 volts not 20 volts. I think you misread the lable and saw the flow rate of 21gpm by mistake.

I think you fried your pump. Try calling the place you bought it from and see if you can exchange it out.

Good luck

Replaced the fuse, (thank god it's there to protect idiots like me!), pump works fine, the real question is how have I gotten through 39 years of life being as stupid as I am sometimes.

For my next trick I will be filling my diesel tank with gas, I'll let you all know how that works out for me!

Best Regards,

JD aka Sparky

hey Sparky! your not stupid, you were just excited to try out your new toy!

I'm glad you had it fused, you probably saved yourself a few bucks!

Good luck and remember:

You can measure once and cut twice or you can measure twice and cut once!

Hey sparky, just reading about your recent miscalculation, sorry but I couldn't help but laugh. A couple of things to keep in mind though when wiring your pump try to keep the wire length as short as possible and be sure to use big enough wire to do the job. I would suggest at minimum a #12 copper wire provided the length is not to long. Also if a fuse holder is not installed in the 12 volt wiring be sure to add one. A fuse rating of 1.5 times full load current should be ok. check the name plate for ratings. Good luck.