Sign in to follow this  
Kawickrice

Times Sure Have Changed

Question

Things sure have changed since I was a pressure washer 26 years ago. Back then it was trial and error, if you knew someone to give you pointers it was a plus. There was no internet back then to do research for your business. We would go to seminars and product demonstrations when new products came on the market.

Back then there were no flats washers, telescoping extensions, color coded spray tips etc. The main players were Landa, Simpson, Mi-T-M and I see they are still prominent players. Home Depot was not on every corner to get a quick hose if one blew out on the job.

Back then ALL machines were commercial units unlike today. A homeowner machine was electric, now they sell throw away machines with axial cam pumps for a homeowner price at the box stores. Back then I would charge $29.95 for a double wide trailer with a carport and porch, now they are called manufactured housing even though it is still pulled with a truck and had axles that are removed once in place.

I had the pleasure of trying for the first time a twirl tip, now called rotary nozzles a big piece of plastic that would destroy peeling paint like there was no tomorrow, very expensive at the time too. When we wanted to wash something high in the air we would link a few extensions together to get there, now there are telescoping wands with a back brace to keep it upright.

I made a ton of money with my Mi-T-M 1500psi 4gpm machine. Today it would be laughed at as I am laughing as I type. After a recent visit to my local pressure washing distributor I was amazed at the chemical variations. Back then it was chlorine and sometimes a little acid for certain types of work.

I lived in a small county at the time and remember driving 150 miles one way to get parts for my machine from a pressure washing distributor. Now it arrives at my door thanks to Google and the internet which back then would have been something on the TV show Outer Limits.

This is from my experiences and some of the trick products mentioned might have been around but not available in my small town. I now have a cold water 3500 psi 4 gpm belt drive machine that will be used for paint prep and maybe some home washing if need be.

Writing this has brought back some fond memories of my early pressure washing days. I was in business for about 10 years before getting out of the trade which I seem to be getting back into. I hope you enjoy the read from an old school pressure washing guy.

7 answers to this question

The internet is a goldmine of information, not just for our trade but for anything in general. It really is a blessing. If there is a difficult aspect to the web it's sorting the useful information from useless. If you know where to look and what to look for the internet is really a great tool. 26 years is a long time but I think some of the members of this site might have you beat. Not me, this is my 18th year at it and I haven't witnessed some of the changes you spoke about. What made you get into it and what made you get out of it? You must see a lot of powerwashers in Florida. Whenever I visit X city or X state I always look in their phonebook to see what the powerwash business is like. Florida is just packed with powerwashers.

What made you come back around to washing? Not sure what type of washing you are doing, but you may be pleasantly surprised to know those telescoping wands are all but obsolete for house washing and most general purpose cleaning.

I know that I am not the oldest in the business by far. I was just reflecting on some of the changes to the industry that I remember. The reason I got out was the D word, Divorce. I kept my old machine but moved a few hundred miles away and lost my customer base as a result. Back then I would hustle any and all work from homes to nursing homes, gas stations etc. Now I am doing alot of paint prep and decided to buy a rig rather than rent one. The economy has put me where I am today and I will prevail. I know how to sell my product and services thanks to my learnings from years past. This site is very informative and I wish it was available back then but it was not. Some things you learn in life you never forget. I fed my young family for years washing and reflect back on those times for motivation now. Thanks for the replies I really enjoyed reflecting back on the old days of my youth. I have NOT seen it all but I have seen a lot in my days