Sign in to follow this  
JITSUBRAD

Bleaching mold on deck!

Question

I have a house wash I am doing next week and the owner wanted me to wash off mold that is on his deck. The mold is only a patch of roughly 4x4 ft.

The deck has a solid stain on it, that is roughly a year old. I didn't want to put bleach on the deck because I don't want to lift the stain.

Any ideas on how I can get this done?

Thanks so much

Brad.

8 answers to this question

If you don't bleach it to death, ie, roof cleaning strength, it won't hurt it. Are you going to try to spot clean a deck?

What would be the correct strength?

He just wanted to get the mold off. The rest of the deck looked fine.

Just hit it with your housewash mix and rinse it off. If its a solid stain its not *likely* going to go anywhere. If it does take the solid off, tell the homeowner you did him a favor and now his deck might not rot off in 5 years

Just hit it with your housewash mix and rinse it off. If its a solid stain its not *likely* going to go anywhere. If it does take the solid off, tell the homeowner you did him a favor and now his deck might not rot off in 5 years

I know not an awful lot about decks, but that doesn't seem like something I would want to hear as a homeowner...

As a homeowner, you would not be "expected" to know the same thing as a professional. If I were the homeowner and a pro told me there was a problem with MY deck stain.....I would be thankful - maybe annoyed that I didn't research well enough when the crap was put down, but that would be on me, the uneducated homeowner. If you want to be a wood pro, you need to learn to educate your customer!