Sign in to follow this  
Jason Yahner

Oxalic Acid to water mix?

Question

5 answers to this question

Well the label on the bucket of oxalic acid doesn't say anything but oxalic acid. I bought it from a soap company that uses it in other chemicals cleaners they make. I took on this friends fence with the understanding that it was my first attempt at a fence project and was told to charge between 5 and 7 dollars a panel to clean the fence. I didn't consider that I would have to fight the sealer from a year ago. I know now know this isn't the best way or even the correct way, but due to time and money I wanted to use sodium hypochlorite to clean the fence then the oxalic acid to neutralize it. But in studying some more I find that the combination of these two chemicals does some pretty nasty stuff. In the future I will have pre-ordered wood stripper and wood brightener and will hopefully learned to better estimate and price the project. 220 dollars for 1600 square feet is not enough.

Based upon that information, I would suggest starting with 6-8oz (by weight) per gallon and see what results you get.

using bleach to clean with will not do much for the previously installed sealer and that sealer may not be compatible with the one you are applying so check that out too.

Bleach ( in high concentrations and extended dwell times) will create a whitening of the wood as it is removing the color ions from the extractives that give woods its distinct color.

use no more than 1 cup bleach per gallon of water and rinse well. The rinsing is two fold, One, is to dilute the sodium hypochlorite, the other is to make sure there is little left on the wood.

Beware, mixing bleach and oxalic acid will create a gas that can be harmful. Rinse well before applying the oxalic.

Safest and less expensive method...go buy some OxyClean. It is a percarbonate (oxygen based bleach which works as well as bleach without the potentials for damage. It only lasts for up to 6 hours at the most then it dies and becomes inactive as the components of the percarbonate use up all the available oxygen in their reaction and once the components are exhausted, there is no more potential for reaction.

Rod!~

Edited by Beth n Rod