Sign in to follow this  
metcalfec

What can you tell me about this pump?

Can anyone help me with my pump? I would like to downstream, and run a bypass line to my buffer tank. Not exactly sure how to do that with this pump. It is 4GPM direct drive as you will see.

Also what is the black barb fitting (bottom right) for?

post-7540-137772376856_thumb.jpg

post-7540-137772376889_thumb.jpg

That little black thing is a thermal relief valve. Hooking up a downstream injector is fairly simple. If you have one, you can thread quick connects on it. Hook it up where you usually hook your high pressure hose up to. Then quick connect your hose into the DS injector.

The-Power-Washer-Advisor I found that for you. Has some info on downstreaming. Im sure you can find pictures there or here. Or somewhere. Just gotta look!

That little black thing is a thermal relief valve. Hooking up a downstream injector is fairly simple. If you have one, you can thread quick connects on it. Hook it up where you usually hook your high pressure hose up to. Then quick connect your hose into the DS injector.

The-Power-Washer-Advisor I found that for you. Has some info on downstreaming. Im sure you can find pictures there or here. Or somewhere. Just gotta look!

+1, Ron R

Chris M you already have a down streamer setup on the unloader, (thats where the clear 1/4" hose goes from the gray cylinder (chemical filter) to the brass barb fitting in which it it connected), when you connect a high pressure hose to the outlet of the machine with the machine running and no gun the chemical filter if placed in a detergent bottle will pull chemical into the injector (if working properly) and mixed with the incoming water, it well pull chemical when the pressure down stream of it is less than a certain amount, like when you use the black soap tip (the opening in it is so big that the water cannot be pressurized in the pump.

here is a diagram of the trapped pressure unloader: http://www.generalpump.com/PDFs/TECHNICAL%20DATA/UnloaderOperation.pdf

here is a diagram of a typical unloader set up, but instead of putting the hose as you see in the diagram back to the inlet of the pump , you can put it back into your tank http://www.catpumps.com/select/pdfs/7670.pdf

If you just bought it.. take it back..

the unloader is not replaceable,

if you'r stuck with it, don't tank-feed it without removing the thermal relief,

because it will suck air, immediately (within a few months) damaging the seals, unloader, etc.

..and you can never lay the gun down for more than 2 minutes.

..its called "bypass overheat".

get a pump with a separate unloader.. always.

I am just in the process of building a trailer, have everything I need just waiting to put it all together. What should I do as I was planning on tank feeding the unit. My PW is a 13hp honda, 3700PSI, 4GPM (as per manufacturers specs, I know that is not 100% true). What do I need to do to prevent premature failure of the pump? I planned on upgrading to a Pressure Pro next season but was depending on this one to get me through until then. Actually planned on keeping it as a second unit/back-up/small jobber.

Any input in this regard would be muchly appreciated!

Chris

I'm stuck with it, how do I remove the thermal relief? Is that where I can hook up a bypass line to run back to my tank?

you will have to put a plug in the place of the thermal relief if you remove it.

If the unloader is of the type that Jerry describes (the unloader is such that the bypass is part of it) then I second buying a stand alone unloader and plumb its bypass back to the tank

Lock at the diagram in this link http://www.catpumps.com/select/pdfs/7670.pdf