Sign in to follow this  
Doug T

Nigel...FYI

Nigel,

This past weekend I had a chance to do some "testing" and thought you might like to know the results.

I used a Pressure Pro 8gpm, 3000PSI cold water machine, with 50' of 3/8 hose and measured the RPM of the spray bar on three different surface cleaners.

1) A 24" "Alkota" made by Steel Eagle.(I bought the unit used and I believe the swivel is a Dublein) This unit has two 1535 tips because I use it with a 6gpm hot box. With a pressure gage at the surface cleaner reading 2950 the RPM of the bar was 1140.

2) A 24" Steel Eagle with 1545 tips and a Mosmatic swivel and spray bar, same set up, at 2700PSI the RPM of the bar was 1120.

3) A 30" Steel Eagle with 1545 tips and a Talon III swivel and Steel Eagle spray bar, 2950PSI and 860 RPM

I drilled a hole through the upper part of the surface cleaner right above the spray bar/nozzle junction and used an Extech lazer tachometer to measure the RPM.

I guess I'm a little surprised at how "slow" the bars actually spin. With most swivels rated for 2000RPM, I thought they would be faster

Jon,

Just curiosity, there was a discussion on one of the BBS awhile back in regards to surface cleaner leaving swirl marks from walking to fast. If the bar can spin faster then one should be able to walk faster without leaving the swirl marks. And part of the discussion was if there is a difference between the mfg's of the swivel.

Jon,

Just curiosity, there was a discussion on one of the BBS awhile back in regards to surface cleaner leaving swirl marks from walking to fast. If the bar can spin faster then one should be able to walk faster without leaving the swirl marks. And part of the discussion was if there is a difference between the mfg's of the swivel.

This is the reason why I like belt driven bars because they spin into the area that is being cleaned and they leave very little swirl marks if any.

Hey Doug I'll call you tomorrow. I got your message but I was swamped with fixing some machines since where leaving to do a parking garage tuesday(Tomorrow). We should have left today but I got lucky that one of the stores we maintain had an inspection this week so we had to that tonight which gave me more time to fine tune my equipment.

Nigel,

This past weekend I had a chance to do some "testing" and thought you might like to know the results.

I used a Pressure Pro 8gpm, 3000PSI cold water machine, with 50' of 3/8 hose and measured the RPM of the spray bar on three different surface cleaners.

1) A 24" "Alkota" made by Steel Eagle.(I bought the unit used and I believe the swivel is a Dublein) This unit has two 1535 tips because I use it with a 6gpm hot box. With a pressure gage at the surface cleaner reading 2950 the RPM of the bar was 1140.

2) A 24" Steel Eagle with 1545 tips and a Mosmatic swivel and spray bar, same set up, at 2700PSI the RPM of the bar was 1120.

3) A 30" Steel Eagle with 1545 tips and a Talon III swivel and Steel Eagle spray bar, 2950PSI and 860 RPM

I drilled a hole through the upper part of the surface cleaner right above the spray bar/nozzle junction and used an Extech lazer tachometer to measure the RPM.

I guess I'm a little surprised at how "slow" the bars actually spin. With most swivels rated for 2000RPM, I thought they would be faster

Beautiful Doug T, I have been lazy to do my testing/video, but the 24" and 30" steel eagels were at a disadvantage with the 4.5 nozzles, the nozzles should really be 3.5 for better pressure at the sc.

do the test over with the nozzles for the "alkota" surface cleaner, use the same nozzles in all the surface cleaners.

could you imagine if you had over 150 ft of 3/8 hose, see what pressure you get there as well.

I guess my theory with the spray turbulence under the pan was incorrect, did you suspend the surface cleaners off the ground for the test? or was the sc on the ground with sprays impacting concrete or other surface.

I think the steel eagle surface cleaners have an advantage with no brush skirt, to much water is trapped under my mosmatic, it needs to evacuate faster

Great job on the testing Doug!

Some of us have been wondering how to check the speed of the spray bar to find out how fast it really is spinning.

Even though they are rated to 2000rpm's or even 2500rpm's, it seems like the swivel manufacturers are fudging the speed of the spray bar to make it sound like it is moving faster than it really is.

I agree Nigel, with more pressure hose, there will be a lot more pressure loss unless you go with the 1/2" pressure hose which will be not much pressure loss compared to the 3/8" pressure hose.

I have been looking for a large concrete area to try out my newly-modified Turbo Twister that is engine driven spray bar to see how it does.