Sign in to follow this  
Tombed

Ipe or composite for pool decking ?

Question

Hello, I’ve read a lot of topics in this forum about how to restore an ipe deck.

Before reading them I assumed this was the best choice of wood for my future project, now I’m confused…

The client has an old PT deck that has to be modified for a new cedar above ground pool, he also want a new decking surface.

Composite wood or Ipe ? I’m from Quebec (Canada), so there’s a lot of snow during winter.

I thought Ipe needed a annual “oiling session” (Messmers) “only”, but after reading your posts, I’m not sure anymore if the result will be ok :/

My options for this project ? Trex Transend Exotic ( 10$ sq/ft ), HomeDepot Veranda ( 6-7$ sq/ft) or Ipe ( 10$ sq/ft + annualy oil )

Any comments to help me choose a deck surface near a pool ?

Thanks.

7 answers to this question

happy to read you, that's my first choice too (not sure about composite), but "oil product" (ex : Messmers) disponibility for years to come, considering new VOC "laws" in Canada, worries me... will my client be able to get "the good product" to keep this deck the same color...

The chlorine from the pool would cause a significant problem with the composite as well as void any warranty.

Ipe would fare better and while you could oil it with a drying oil product, you could also leave it bare and let it patina and only wash it every 2-3 years as necessary to remove mildew and algae growth which will surely grow on it next to a pool.

Rod!~