Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

TWP 200 Cedartone on P/T

Question

This is my own deck, it's been a great source of experimentation over the years. I tried ESI timberoil on it back in 2007 and recoated it in 2008, and just didn't like the product. I cleaned it last year with F-10, but never got around to staining it - I had bought a couple of pails of TWP 200 based upon what Scott Paul said about it on his own deck. Despite many warnings about it's curing properties - I decided I wanted still try it and use a parafinnic product.

What I learned about the product, it's like pushing tinted transmission fluid - which I expected. But what I did discover is that it is a curing resin product with a positive dry over the parafinnics. In these photos the deck is prepared, and one coat on the horizontals.

post-1720-137772397907_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772397981_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772398057_thumb.jpg

post-1720-137772398138_thumb.jpg

4 answers to this question

My house is all oil solid stain - I painted the whole house 5 years ago, and now I am just going over areas where the stain is flaking off, mostly due to all the tremendous amount of water constantly bouncing off the deck and onto the wall. Those areas I just scraped, sanded, percarb washed, acid balanced - and then I just soaked them with the TWP 200 while I was staining the deck - will paint them with the solid stain in a couple of weeks once the 200 has settled down.