Sign in to follow this  
nitrox2595

Therma Tru door and a Lawyer

Question

Powerwashed a house for a repeat customer. My guys are trained not to get close up to doors and windows. There was still a wasp nest in the upper right hand corner when the H/O/lawyer called me to come and look at the door. The house faces west and has a covered porch. he is telling me that the powerwashing made the finish of the door(only the lower 1/3) cloudy, and worn away. Now, I went to the lumber yard and they have a therma tru door on an entry way display, and it is showing almost the EXACT pattern of wear. There are no lap marks from the pressure washing, the brass door knob is pitting, and my other argument is the sun beats on the lower half of the door in the afternoon, and the door is due to be refinished soon. It has not been done in 5 years. What do you guys think i should do? He is looking for me to pay to have the door refinished and i honestly do not think that it is our fault. Anyone have anything like this happen to them before?

4 answers to this question

Ask for your check. Tell him you will turn it into your insurance. He will not want to deal with the adjuster. If its clear its not your fault that is.

Also, I would make sure you have a clause in your contract that states you are not responsible for any pre-existing conditions.

how about turning lemons into lemonade? They sell the refinish kits for those doors. Tell him if he buys the kit you will refinish. It comes with a video and everything -it will take you longer to watch the video than to do the door. If you stick to your guns (though you are most likely correct in this case) you could lose a customer and your payment (not sure if you said he paid you already).

Take the high road, be better than him and it will pay off down the road.

I agree with Tim. Take the high road. Keep the client happy. People share stories of misery more often than stories of good experiences when it comes to people/companies they hire. You don't want to be on the negative chatter line....

Beth