Sign in to follow this  
downndirty

Do,s and don'ts of buying trailer mounted

Hello everyone new here as you can see.

looking in to buying trailer mounted rig,had a hotsy demonstrated today,seemed like a nice machine.

13 hp.honda 4.0 gpm,heated and 225 gal tank. 1st off will be using to supplement current bus,in slow season.landscraping and tree,s.And have been to the school of hard knocks there as far as underbuying and paying for it later.

Already have some gigs lined up.Car dealerships,small fleet washing for local lumber co and a lot of residential stuff.Where it goes from there not sure.That being said..Is hotsy a good name does that seem to be the right size tank,gpm,s enough and so on...............any help i,m grateful for

Edited by downndirty
sig,

I started in car lots and quickly moved to fleets. A few of our first customers were lumber trucks. I think you're looking in a good place. My experience is that Hotsy makes a good machine. But, you're going to find that 4gpm is little low for fleets, especially lumber. Try for at least 5.5gpm, but I would recommend 8gpm if you want to be happy with it for a while. That said, your tank may be a little low for lumber fleets, but that depends on your situation. Hot water is not a must, but I laugh at my competition that doesn't have it! You will need it to clean up the de-barking equipment. Hotsy never was cheap, and I don't mean to discourage you from getting quality, but you'll find some lightly used (or new!), higher gpm machines for sale. If you've been in lawn and trees you likely have a little muscle and ingenuity. Use that to get a bigger machine (and tank perhaps), mount it yourself, buy a kiddie pool, fill it with all the money you saved, lounge in it on your front lawn! Drain kiddie pool when you see a neat toy, I mean tool, that might make your life a little easier! All kidding aside, there are some great deals out there on used equipment and you can greatly benefit from a trailer customized to your needs! On the positive side, if you ignore me and go with the little hotsy, you'll have a great machine that will likely last you a long time! On the down side, you'll keep telling yourself, "when this machine dies, I'll get a bigger one" and it will never happen... Hope that helps!

Thanks for some tips Kyle,one thing I don't want to do is under buy,or over pay fore that matter.

Have tryed finding some used rigs no luck.And yes at 50 pretty good shape so handling some thing not a problem.

Will continue to look and take advice.

13 hp.honda 4.0 gpm,heated and 225 gal tank.And have been to the school of hard knocks there as far as underbuying and paying for it later.

Will you make money with a push mower or large cut zero turn mower?

Same example for the equipment you are looking at. It's a push mower.

You want at least a machine that will put out 5 to 6 gpm. This doesn't sound like a big difference but in pressure washing it is. 325 tank & at least a 12 ft duel axle trailer. This is the basic stile rig I started with 5 years ago, and moved up from there.

Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry, another thing to add. If you had a demonstration, that suggest you are near a dealer. Having a dealer near by that can service your equipment might make any frustrations I mentioned well worth it! But, try for a larger machine if you can!

A bit low on the gpm and the tank is small. The points mentioned above really cover it your looking at a push mower that will make it difficult to make any money doing what you are looking at. Speed and efficiency are key in fleets and flatwork so bigger is better.

Thanks for the words of wisdom fella,s. But salesman assures me 4 gpm is plenty,LOL.

Seriously advice is taken have checked into some other units. What,s the input on this machine.... hydro tek 3000sv. diesel fired burner, gas motor 16hp v twin, 300 gallon tank two hose reels cold water and pressure hoses both 100 feet two wands also got a 115v generator built in. A early 90,s rig.has been very well kept,serviced by hydro tek. Is 6 grand to much.

Yes...too much. I would say the number of hours on engine and pump is important, but that machine is possibly older than some of the guys on this forum...

Hydrotec is another great company, but 20 yrs is a an eternity for a pressure washer. I'm sure there are guys on here with ancient machines, but...

Check ebay and craigslist. Deals on there every day that don't include a commission for the shop selling for somebody else. Pretty sure he'll still take you as a customer for maintenance & repairs later :)

David, 6k for a 3k rig? Yea a little high. Why the rush? Winter is almost here, can't make money with a pressure washer when it's freezing. Slow Down, Take Your Time. Between now and Spring you could be putting together a "Killer Business Plan". So that when you start in the Spring you come out like "Gang Busters".

There will be plenty of good used equipment on the market soon. Again search ebay & craigslist.

Good Luck!

.... hydro tek 3000sv. diesel fired burner, gas motor 16hp v twin, 300 gallon tank two hose reels cold water and pressure hoses both 100 feet two wands also got a 115v generator built in. A early 90,s rig.has been very well kept,serviced by hydro tek. Is 6 grand to much.

A little mix up,the rig is a 2001,picked it up for 3650.00 . I know aqll units should be clean or should,not like you can,t tkae a few minutes and clean when dirty. But I have never seen some thing so cared for for.The unit is immaculate....and already have a good bit of work lined up with it. So is it so bad of a deal? Will post a pic of it