Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Fun with cedar shakes

Question

Until this year, after 10 yrs. of primarily decks, but a number of teak furniture restorations as well as a few large fence jobs, never considered houses. Too high, can break a hip or neck, kill yourself, yada, yada.

Broke my cherry on a sweet redwood home a month ago. Started a true restoration on a 34+ yr. old, never cleaned or stained (in 34 yrs.), cedar shake home this week. Tom of ACR fabricated some pressure wand and stain wand extensions that make ground or low ladder work easy.

But a small sq. footage of this job needed rigging. Safety rope, self arresting belay, harness, locking caribiners, D-rings, knot knowledge, etc..

This is actually fun. After 20 minutes or so, knowing that your rigging and equipment is right, the work is not all that difficult and you actually enjoy doing something new. The compensation is by far better than decks.

I guess the point is to try something different or take on projects formerly considered "out of your league". I'm 58 yrs. old, and kind of have a new enthusiasm for wood restoration.

post-170-13777240066_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772400669_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772400681_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

Odd how these things snowball ...

This lead came directly from the Grime Scene web site this week. Looked over the job tonight.

38 redwood framed windows, doors, and circular skylights. 3 redwood garage doors. Foul poly/urethane finish that is peeling off. I'm the 3rd contractor in 8 yrs. since the home was built.

We've done a fair amount of high end work over the past 10 years, but I have never seen a home or property like this close up. Owners are terrific.

The dormer windows, 5 in all, are a challenge.

post-170-137772400689_thumb.jpg

Rick,

I'm new to the scene also. Been doing fence installation but I wanted to broaden my business. Wood restoration seems like the next step. Turning gray fences and decks back to almost original and staining saves customers Money, while I still make a nice profit.

A friend has the Cedar Shake also on her house and I offered to clean and stain it for her. So I have some questions for you about what you did.

Do I use the same cleaning material I use now to clean my fences and decks?

Also, what stain would you think is best color and application wise?

Spray, Pad, or Brush?

And the last thing, the price per square foot I should charge.

Thanks,

Vinny

Also, do you have any Pics of the finished product?

Wow I can not beleive you got on that roof. Next time call me if you need help. I would like to se you do it with a hiny in your hand next time. Lunch and drinks on me soon.

... So I have some questions for you about what you did. ...

Vinny,

Too much to write, I'll give you a call in a day or so. Pics are in the camera, have to download and see how they came out.

Wow I can not beleive you got on that roof. Next time call me if you need help. I would like to se you do it with a hiny in your hand next time. Lunch and drinks on me soon.

Brian,

It really wasn't that bad with the right safety equipment. On the other hand, I would not put my help up there!

Funny, Jack Kramer called yesterday to have lunch, he was down in my area while I was up in Frenchtown. We'll get together after the season and have a few brews.

Rick u gotta love those cedar shake jobs. There easy money except lucky you I can no longer deal with heights.. We did a job just last week that we got from here also on TGS that was a strip and stain job in the Hamptons. It paid really well and it took just two days to strip two decks and a house and then come back and stain it.

I'll post pics when I get back from the PWNA convention.

John,

Enjoy the convention, and give my regards to Jake Clark. Thanks again for the ladder jacks and platform, that equipment really helps.

The Hampton area home owners crack me up. Most seem to like that weathered "New England" look, so they let their cedar shakes literally rot. Then replace with new. Its not like most don't have the $ to keep their cedar maintained!

Edited by RPetry

Stopped by this house yesterday to replace a few rotted shakes with some old extras we cleaned and stained last month.

The house came out well, took a while for the paraffin oil to set up to final color. Wish I had a "before" pic of the garage doors, they were a mess. After lightly stripping some weathered brown solid oil stain off the door, come to find out its redwood. The owner had no idea.

The stain is Ready Seal medium red. We'll be prepping and staining the new PT rear deck in the spring.

post-170-137772407534_thumb.jpg

post-170-137772407589_thumb.jpg

post-170-13777240764_thumb.jpg

Saaaweeeet Rick. As always. you do great work. The deck should "weather out" over the winter, right. Is it PT pine? Will the tone look the same as the house or will you have to make a blend to match?

Awesome work.

..... you guru !!!!

Edited by Adrian
loss of control.

Thanks Adrian. This job was special, the shakes on the house were a real mess. Had not been cleaned or stained in 34 years. Actually longer, as this was the length of residence of the current owners.

The new deck is PT pine and was constructed this summer. HD non kiln dried lumber, took a moisture reading with the pins sunk all the way and the wood was over 20% in nice weather. It has to acclimate and just dry out. It should be ready by May.

The PT stain will be a lot brighter than the shakes. I can get the color somewhat close, but there will be a distinct difference in appearance. 2 different woods with one new and the other 34 years plus!