Sign in to follow this  
ron p

let's talk about set-up's

This is what i do to max. the life of my equipment from the pressure reel to the tip.

Start with good quality pressure hose

use a langth of hose that min. or eleminate's connections

if you do need connection's and allmost never dis-connect use a double female brass fitting that has flat sides not QD[no leaks-easy to get apart]

*tip use some never sieze on the female threads and teflon tape on the males

If you use 200 ft of pressure line or more you should have a dampner installed on your wash unit. You can send a pressure spike back to your wash unit that could cause it to burst or cause serious damage to your pump.

At the end of the pressure line i highly suggest a in-line high pressure swivel. This prevent's line twisting,wear on the QD fitting's,releaves unwanted stress on the operator and equipment.

Then i suggest a 5 ft whip hose[jumper hose]. All QD should flow from male[plug] to female[coupler].

Now sometimes you need to switch attachment's and dont want to return to the wash unit to shut it down.

This is where a high pressure ball valve come's into play.

[switching from surface cleaner to wand to remove a piece of gum or to rinse for exsample]

For this i like to install the QD fitting's directly to the valve. This allows me to use it when i need it and remove it when i dont.[why have the extra weight if you dont need it?]

*tip for large areas of surface cleaning you want to reduce fatiuge as much as you can. Some replace the trigger gun with a ball valve,some use the third hand,some zip tie open the gun

I find pulling the pressure line to be the hardest on the arm's and back. For this, i use a carpenters hammer holster on my belt and a langth of velcro stap to secure the pressure line to that. As i walk it follows. My legs do the work,not my back.

*note the only time i dont use male to femal is at the wand tip.

Anyone have anything to add?

Ron P.,

Can you elaborate a little on this?

Is the effect woarse when using 200+ feet of hose or a 50 feet length? My thought being 50' is a much shorter distance.

If the unloader bypass hose is plumbed to a tank wouldn't the shock be nulified by the tank?

What brand of pulsation damper have you had success with? How expensive are they?

Do you install this immediatly after the unloader?

I have frequently used 200'+ of hose on occassion, so what you are saying raises major concern! I don't want a pump blowing apart.

Why don't the manufactures warn of this potential danger?

Anyones input on this subject would be greatly appreciated!

Rather than the weight and price of the ball valve to eliminate going back to the machine, why not just put a qc on the gun and you can switch between the wand and SC. Not to mention your gun is then setup for close up use on a moments notice.

As far as making the plug go into the coupler, so that the water is flowing like an arrow, according to Espec. My downstreamer is setup to flow the other way, the arrow on the side says so. It is a General DS, so who do we listen to General or ESpec? What is the advantage to doing it the Espec way?

When running hoses hardlined together, I prefer STEEL over the brass, due to the pressure and abuse from dragging.

Ron,

I just looked at all the catologs I have and can't find one skid that has a pulsation damper installed on them.

I do remember seeing one in a picture of Dave Olsons red truck I think. I beleive it was on the back wall near the boiler.

How long have you been using them??

OTP,

I have found using steel connectors on hp hose can cause problems. The rust coming off them can plug turbo filters and surface cleaner filters also. I switched to s.s. and have not had any more problems.

Originally posted by beyoungsr

OTP,

I have found using steel connectors on hp hose can cause problems. The rust coming off them can plug turbo filters and surface cleaner filters also. I switched to s.s. and have not had any more problems.

Thanks for the tip, I have not had any problems yet, but will get S.S. when I buy more.

i have'nt got one that is why im learning.

It seems that, with run's of pressure line over 150 ft, when you release the trigger or turn off the valve it can send a 4000psi spike back to the pump and blow out the seals.

Dave olsen has one but it was $800, im looking for one like A-plus has.

Where would you find a new one A-plus?

Daaaaaa

Mark at easy clean, right?

Ron,

I have a pulsation damper and a pressure accuator that are on a GAIL piston type car wash pump a guy gave me. Looks like the damper is on the incoming supply side.

I beleive both a filled with nitrogen.

Not sure if the are functional.

Would like to find out more info on the dampers.

Do's don'ts how and where to install and why.

Maybe Dave Olson can enlighten us!

Here is a site that has them, and for alot cheaper than $800.00.

I also have a skid like A Plus with one of these Accumulator's and a flow unloader.

I usually run 150+ hose and I have still gotten spikes. It makes the hose feel like a big overstretched rubber band and has almost pulled me down a few times.

http://www.pressure-washer-parts.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?Search=Yes

Hi Guys,

I will try to post a picture of our Pulsation Dampener. It is a 1 quart size with 3/4" inlet. It is made of stainless and has a viton blatter with a 1800 psi nitrogen charge.

We paid around $800 for it several years ago.

Dave Olson

Ron,

Yes, the skid came from Mark. When I ordered that skid, I discussed with Mark that I didn't want anything skimped on. I selected all the components on the machine, but Mark told me about the accumulator. I don't really know the specifics of exactly how it works, but I can say that I run 150 foot all the time. I've learned to appreciate the flow actuated unloader, and I notice there is no vibration or pulsation in the hose.

There is a much smoother feel than on my smaller cold water rigs.

i am sorry i dont understand,this sounds like the y2k scare,if the manufacture doesnt include this in there proccess and it warrants legitimate placement the man. is responsible for any damage resulting therefore. whats the big deal?

its like waking up after y2k and saying what am i goijng to do with a $10,000 generator and 6 months of canned goods?

Paul,

I don't think the question is if they are available. The question is if they are truely needed wouldnt they be installed by the manufacturer.

Surely they would not leave their selves wide open for liability lawsuits.

I think the reason some manufacturers don't include dampners is because of the competition for low price. When you pay less dollars what do you expect?

Also, they always supply 50' of hose, and that's not a problem.

Everyone needs to do their homework. If you don't know what you need, then you better establish a good working relationship with a quality distributor.

Ron P. was asking where he could find one like A-Plus.

I think your question "...If they are truly needed wouldn't they be installed by the manufacturer." ...deserves some pondering.

- Four disk brakes on a car are better than two - why don't all cars have them?

- The cab of my truck keeps rusting out behind the door (it's a typical problem and fairly easy to eliminate) - why has that problem not disappeared?

Shortened equipment life is not necessarily a question of liability - only if it's a safety issue. It's sort of like a direct drive vs. a belt drive.

A dampener should extend the life of a pump.

Tony,

I have done my homework. Pulsation problems are much greater with hose lenghts less 100'. Fact is no one has spoke up about having problems without one. No pumps blown a part or other damage reported.

Not one supplier or distributor has chimed in saying you need one! Actually EPPS manf. and the WIZ firmly said you don't need one. Dave Olson said he had one because he runs a duplex and not a triplex pump.

I don't think anyone should make a claim of a possible safety hazard and not have the facts. It should have been listed as an area to research and not stated as fact!

This should especialy hold true for moderators.

How can you say you must have on your setup and don't have one yourself?

A pulsation damper is not a must have safety item.

Did you ever have problems with your 13 hp Honda with long runs of hose? Any pumps blow apart or did you suffer any injuries?

Lastly I am not arguing with anyone here just questioning a moderators recommendations! And yes I do have the facts since I researched the subject.

From what I can tell with my four machines, the one that has an accumulator seems to be smoother. There is virtually no vibration in the hose. It seems to be less fatiguing to operate.

These are my observations only.

Tony,

I am sure that it does provide some benefit. Do your other units have pressure or flow unloaders?

I know that flow unloaders are much smoother.

Mine are all the pressure type. A long time ago I use to use a 6' wand with a 45 degree angle at the top. I was on a 6' ladder washing a gable and squeezed the gun and nearly went flying off the ladder!

Needless to say I changed the way I did things quickly.