Sign in to follow this  
Adrian

Quitting

Question

13 answers to this question

Cold turkey... Everyday say to yourself "5 days I haven't smoked, 6days, 7 days....110 days etc) I kept reminding my self and I would tell people those days to.. So I didn't keep it all bottled up and most people would give you support like "Hey that's great you can do it".

Its one of the hardest things to do.... But if you have kids look at them.. They want you to live... You can do it...you can do it...you can do it etc etc etc.... Then you have done it.. And it gets easier and easier... Today I'm over 3650 days smoke free which = by today standards in NY $10/pack on 3650= $36,500 saved.. And I smoked over a pack/day... You can do it

Thx man, I already spilled my guts on PT and recieved tons of helpful advice. However, that seems to be the only way is cold turkey and do my best to stick it out this time.

Being real with myself ( a man who is not easily zoomed by schemes and tricks) seems to be the only reality without surrendering my soul to hypgnosis or something like that.

However the "nerve you hit" with family is my biggest concern. I need to be there for them to absorb the blows from the world that are or might be directed towards them. That's why I am here..... to serve them.... not myself.

I kind of hate myself for letting it get this bad. I almost beat it once and am trying again.

I could smoke one or two RIGHT NOW, but I won't, because...... I wanna be were your are ( and many others) right now.

So.... I'm tryin' Lol.

Thx a mill for your story, it means alot.

I smoked between two and three packs a day from 1984 till 2001.

My dad died of cancer in 2000 so I set a goal to quit smoking the next year on his birthday.

I told everyone I know (and it was a lot because I owned the dry clean route at that time) that I was going to quit smoking on July 5, 2001. I started telling people this around November of 2000.

If I had failed, I would have looked like a moron.

Further I prayed about it. The same way I did about losing weight. I told God I was powerless against it and it would take his power to remove the urge. I trusted him and didn't even try.

On the fourth of July 2001 I smoked a carton of cigarettes. I put out the last one about 2 minutes before midnight.

I haven't smoked one since.

Hope that helps.

Cold turkey... $36,500 saved.. And I smoked over a pack/day... You can do it

Yep, I hear ya John.

I could also see some lifelong dreams come true as well

Like this....

Raven Rotorcraft Redrives: Geo-Suzuki Engine Conversion for Gyroplanes and Ultralights

look at the amphibian ultra in the photo gal. some day.

Edited by Adrian

I've gotten 4 crew members to quit. I buy about 5-10 cans of those tangerine altoid sours. They had to finish a pack a day before they could light a cig. They could smoke all they wanted that day after they finish the sours. By day 4 they have trouble finishing their sours. I had one guy finish 8 cans! Day 8 he finished his can at a job just after midnight. He went to light up and his foreman makes him check his phone. When he realized it was actually day 9, the guys handed him another can! He stopped smoking from then until he stopped working with us (I don't know if he picked it back up), but he was addicted to the sours!

I know it sounds gimmicky, but it might help!

Nicabate patch's. Brilliant! Been 17 months smoke free. Only need ed the patch's for about 5 weeks then one day I realized I'd left home with putting one on, & have never needed them since. I still get the odd moment when i could really cave in, but that pass's in seconds. Should have done it decades ago. Hang in there. IT DOES GET EASIER!!!

Man i have tried many times and can tell you it is the hardest thing to do...only way from friends and family that has quit is cold turkey and 2 weeks of with draws...got to stay strong and win for yourself and your family.....I pray one day God gives me the strength and will to quit!!!!!!!!!!! He is giving you the will just pray for strength.

I have had 3 of my guys quit chew. Jon was the first about 5 years ago. He decided to stop, and did. Cold turkey, still off the nasty drug

Matt was next, he stopped about a year ago. Did it for his kids, did not want them to get the addiction from him.

Elliot has tried to stop chew several times, not successfull yet.

I do not allow tobacco in my shop, work vans or at my house.

Man i have tried many times and can tell you it is the hardest thing to do...only way from friends and family that has quit is cold turkey and 2 weeks of with draws...got to stay strong and win for yourself and your family.....I pray one day God gives me the strength and will to quit!!!!!!!!!!! He is giving you the will just pray for strength.

The only way you will quit is if you want to. Thats the bottom line. You HAVE TO WANT TO STOP! Try the patch's. I'm assuming their available in the US. There is no craving or withdrawl, you simply DO NOT feel like having a smoke. And before you know it, the smell becomes really offensive to you. This is what your non smoking clients will smell from your clothes, before you even open your mouth. Try this. Go home & take a photo off the wall. Look at the difference in the paint/walpaper color. You might just get a little ''surprised''. As in ''where the hell did all this crap come from''?. Anyway mate, keep it up. Remember, you CAN DO IT. IF YOU WANT TO!

I threw my last half pack in the garbage one day and have never touched one since. It has been 13 years. It was tough for the first month and then it was easy. I chewed a million pieces of Wrigley's gum that first month and was a little irritable to be around. But I wanted to do it and I did!! You can too...good luck!

How I quit,

Well I cut back slowly one cig a day less every day sometimes would take two or three days to cut one then stayed on one cig a day for a long time then would just take a hit if it really needed too. Finally I quit all the way and eating like a nutcase and yelling at family for no reason seemed to help a lot. Also drinking helped.

Nicotine is a serious drug. I think most people should let their brain receptors down regulate before quitting....b/c it's hard....or maybe I'm just a wuss :D

You might want to switch to a pure tobacco like American Spirit too before trying to quit as it's possible the admixture components are addictive as well. That way you are weaning from (when you start to quit) only nicotine.