Sign in to follow this  
randyh56

Concerning the use of Bleach?

Question

I was in Lowe's the other day and came across some Outdoor bleach from Clorox. That was the name for it with dilution ratios for cleaning siding and other stuff. Is this new and has anybody used it. The cost was $5.97 a gal. is that to high to make it economical to use. The dilution for mildew was 1-2 or 3 gal of water. Your response would be appreciated.

18 answers to this question

look for a chemical distributer in your area. It may be difficult to find but you will save A LOT of money. I found a place in my area that sells pool chlorine (double strength bleach) for 1.35 a gallon.. I can just double my dilution and save quite a bit of money. They will also fill a 55 gallon container or whatever I take them. The bleach is also much fresher than whats found in stores. Bleach has a shelf life of about 6 months I think.

Randy,

The cost of Clorox Outdoor bleach is prohibitive for us.We buy 12% chlorine and dilute to the strength we need.Usually between 4% - 12% depending on which application we are using it for.Check with a pool supple store for 12% chlorine prices.

Sounds high to me. You need to find out what percent sodium Hypochlorite is in the mix. I believe 148 oz (1gal 20oz) of bleach from walmart contains a tad over 6% of sodium Hypochlorite and costs just under $2. Sodium Hypochlorite is bleach, and I think that is what does most of your cleaning.

Hope this helps!

John

I buy 12% Sodium Hypochlorite from a chem company here in Houston for less than a $1/gl in 55 gl drums delivered.We also have tons of chem companies here.

http://www.forp.usp.br/restauradora/soda/sodaingl.html

The site referrenced above did a study on the amount of chlorine loss under certain conditions. As you can see, it has a pretty good duration, but these bottles were also kept shut air tight.

Given that chlorine is the desired ingredient, at about 3% or less it becomes a low grade oxidizer unsuitable for contractor uses, but still somewhat usefull for the average homeowner who doesnt need the same concentrations as a contractor does. 12-15% chlorine stock should last anyone in the biz long enough to use it all. BTW...keep a lid on it Caustic soda is added to give it alonger shelf life, check to see what you are getting before buying.

Any feed back?

Rod~

The primary selling point of the outdoor bleach is that it contains enzymatic agents designed to breakdown the contents in saltwater so it can be considered environmentally safe. Like beth said, it also contains a higher amount of sodium hydroxide than bleach so is better at acting as a degreaser and oxidation removal. Also, it has some detergents in it to help it act more as a soap. It sounds great and is in a nice looking package, but after using it and regular bleach, I just can't justify the cost difference. However, using if full strength on some rather strange looking fungus growing on a stucco surface literally melted the fungus away and made the surface look fantastic.

You all are removing the oxidation from aluminum siding? Yeesh, been there done that and seen quite a few guys sued because of it.

I'd be very careful how you word your contracts.. Removing the oxidation can make the siding look like a completly different color in some cases.. Then they home owner says that you took off the paint all the way down to the primer.

Henry,

Anytime we wash aluminum siding, I make sure to educate the customer up front about the potential outcomes. It's discussed with the customer, and written on the estimate. No surprises, no opportunity for law suits.

After reading some of the informative opinions concerning aluminum, I decided last year to turn down any offer for aluminum siding. Henry, I believe some of your posts were the ones that really made me want to steer clear of these monsters. Thanks alot!! (seriously...vinyl is so much more easy anyway).

Hello Gents, Can you buy Sodium Hypochlorite at 12- 15% I was informed that 12% was the highest you can purchase buy fedral law

We buy 15% all the time.....or at least that's what the sticker says. Can you point me in the direction of that law?

Celeste

Ryan,

There are still a lot of aluminum sided homes around. If you're honest with the customers, and educate them, they likely will understand the possible outcomes, and why they happen.

It's just as easy to wash aluminum as it is vinyl. The only difference is the potential outcomes, and that's often times not a problem if discussed up front.

Is it worth it to miss out on the $$ potential you're missing?

Henry,

It's been nice seeing alot of the aluminum replaced with vinyl around here. :groovy: We don't like aluminum either. We wash it, but we're really carefull about what we say we are able to do and how we wash it. You're right. The old siding that has been washed incorrectly over time or neglected can look alot different after a washing. For example, on the sunny side of a home, you may see a darker color under the overhang from the piece above it, and then becoming more faded as it is in direct sun. Ick.

Beth :groovy3:

When were cleaning aluminum siding it's usually done to remove mildew and surface dirt. I always tell clients that it's strictly a light surface cleaning done with chemicals. We can remove the mildew, bird droppings, pollen and dust but I always tell clients that we don't outright "power wash" the siding due to problems that may arise from removing the oxidation. Then I explain what oxidation is by showing them the powder coat on the siding. I always tell them that we will not remove this powder coating of oxidation and why. It is possible to clean it, but you have to be careful. I agree with A-plus, there's too many houses with it on them to NOT do it... I'd just be very careful about how it's done to reduce possible problems.

There is always a possibility to be sued by anyone, that's just the way society is today so even if you have a carefully worded contract doesn't mean your covered %100.

Tony,

For me, in this area, it's definitely worth turning them down. Anyway, homes with aluminum siding (here anyway) are generally old, small, and the residents don't have the money to pay a lowballer with a garden hose with a buzz from GoofOff, much less someone who would take the time to use the proper chemicals. I've only received two calls for aluminum houses...one wasn't even aluminum it was just dingy vinly (brightened up very nicely, though!) and the owner didn't know the difference, and other was as I described above. Anymore, I work off referrals with a few targeted areas. My primary business right now is my janitorial...I stepped aside from the PW so others who have a real necessity to make it work can have some space to work. I've still been called by homeowners to save a few botched jobs, though. Those are fun.