Sign in to follow this  
ron p

What is/was the biggest stumbling block

Question

you have hit in your buissness? Did you just get by or have you fixed it so your happy?

chems

equipment

maintance

selling

collecting

advertising

start-up money

employee's

finding work

learning "how-to"

trying to grow

getting to your goal

paperwork

accounting

reclaim

breakdown's

finding commerical work

winter weather

[add one if i did'nt hit on your's]

8 answers to this question

I would be willing to bet, if you have a business man, that does his own thing, He has had those problems and then some....

Finding work or contracts, pricing, and know, employees...

Boy do I have a long way to go...

Matt

Add getting or keeping insurance coverage now.

Seems many are having problems there, and if you can find it is the rate reasonable?

Could add fuel cost but we really don't have much control over it other then it eating away at our profits.

I know this is not really what many would say important but how about if the manufactures and suppliers would inform us of updates or improvements to the equipment. Like recalls from automotive dealers.

Example my Kohler used to backfire and the dealer says it is normal, I called Kohler and find out they make a product that prevents that. I feel if it is a known problem they should offer the fix FREE instead of charging you for the item to fix the problem. Not cheap but no laws require them to repair or recall these motors.

Jon

people want ans. not questions.

this can ans a lot of questions if more would post questions.

Why are "newbies" not posting?

Are we just spreading out the reg's?

That's not helping.

Come on, one new guy,just one,restore my faith.

Help me,help you.

Ron P. The new guy is going to have most of those stumpling blocks.

I mean the one I met a couple weeks ago who jus bought his rig has all those bridges to cross.

Geez I can remember the worst part for me was being forced, yes forced to publish my home address, they would not accept my post office box even though it is with the USPS.

I try to prevent that from being given out for many reasons.

Now it has become public record. Well was, I have found a way to stop it from being used to much, get junk mail, write across it DECEASED, and RETURN TO SENDER.

BINGO your off the mailing list.

Ok so it has nothing to do with what your asking other then it came from being forced to register the business with my physical address.

Jon

What is/was the biggest stumbling block

Hello Ron P,

One stumbling block that I have is loosing the ability to see! There is no question in my mind that my business has suffered because of this.

I have mentioned in other posts that I am a visually challenged person. I only bring this up because one or maybe two people run for the most part all of the businesses represented here on the BBS. If that person has a hard time doing (paperwork, inspecting jobs, doing the work, etc) the business must have someone that can do what needs to be done or the business will cease to operate!

I suggest that each look at their businesses and plan what you would do if you could not do what you do for your business to work and succeed. You may have an injury or just getting old (like me). :) It is not really much different than having spare parts, pumps and or equipment when a failure happens. You plan ahead for the time that you may need them.

Remember you cannot always pay someone else to do what you yourself have done/are doing! I know because I have tried.

Dave Olson

i seem to have a new stumbling block every week,i am beginning to learn this is just a part of being in business,its how you deal with the stumbling blocks that determine your success.

i bet Donald Trump even with his wealth and fortune suffers a great deal of stress and obstacles to overcome on a daily basis.

what is the most humerous is the people on the outside looking in who say "you got it made" if they only knew.

the day that i can sit back and worry about nothing and know that i never have to work another day in my life is the day i will consider myself successful.

I wouldn't necessarily call it a stumbling block, a challange definitely, to streamline the following (these are not in any specific order):

- The sales packages / presentation packages

- Organizing and keeping things organized - from files to equipment and supplies.

- Upgrading equipment and procedures.

- The estimating / bidding process (finding ways to reduce effort hours and getting a higher percentage of bids).

- Finding ways to reduce the Overhead costs.

- Sorting thru ALL the different chemicals, solutions & sealers to find the best quality for a reasonable cost.

- Finding enough time in a day.