Sign in to follow this  
Roberto Masson

South fla, broward county, are my pices too cheap? Or expensive?

Question

Hello everyone i have been trying to do estimates to pressure clean roofs, and drive way at .10 cents a Sq/ft that's what someone told me to charge for residential houses...

On a roof that's 3000sq/ft it comes out to $300bucks, then the customer says I'm crazzy , last guy that did his roof charged him $115...and that's what he was willing to pay...

I find myself in this type of situation a lot .

What should I charge per sq/ft for roofs and drive ways?

Are my prices too expensive? Or are people just being cheap?

Also dose the price go up for a two story house?

is the sq/ft of the house the same as the roof?

thanks hope everyone is having a great day!

11 answers to this question

Yes, you are too expensive. For who you are targeting. Look, if something cost a quarter and all you have is dime in your pocket, then it's to expensive. Sounds like your problem is you have something to sell for a quarter but your trying to sell it to someone that only has a dime, only wants to part with a dime, or doesn't fully understand why it cost a quarter.

Yes 10 cents a sq ft for roof cleaning, done properly, is way low. No your prices aren't to expensive. Are your customers cheap, I dont know, look at what kind of car they drive, how do they keep up their house, do they have a pool, pet's,boat,RV, or are the weeds overgrown, car leaking oil in the driveway, fence busted down in sections, etc etc.

If i were you I'd raise my prices and find a better market.

8 hours north just across the GA line I routinely get .17-.25 for asphalt shingle roofs. It just depends on the size, pitch, landscaping, etc... Can it be cleaned from the ground? ladder? or do you have to walk the roof? Do they have gutters? Sprinkler system?

I think your home owner is either comparing apples to oranges or not telling you the truth. I would imagine you have a minimum of $50 in chemicals alone for a 3000 sq ft roof depending on how dirty it is.

I agree with Doug you are definitely not too cheap!

One thing you could try is to charge him $115 for the roof if he will include other services. Mark-up "add on" services to make up the difference in price. Add an additonal 2-3 cents/sq ft to your normal price for a house wash. Do the same for driveway/sidewalk, deck/patio, fence, etc... Make it worth your time.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Never had a customer tell me what they would pay me before, but I know what I'd tell them if they did.

I'm not in the Fla. market so I can't say. We sell service not price. The customer you described is not a customer I would have. We have lowballers here too, I out sell them all the time because we sell a quality service, those guys sell price because they can't sell quality or anything else.

I totally agree with what Doug said too.

are you pressure washing these roofs? If so maybe thats why your getting ten cents a square foot .. I think you need to educate yourself on roof cleaning you should be able to get ALOT more then that and you need to know whats actually going on up there and what the algae does .. you need to sound like a damn chemist when your infront of the homeowner .. and if your using a powerwasher your doing it wrong .. if your competition is using a pressure washer then you should be jumping up and down ...

There is precious little in this world worth doing for a mere $115. Just running a legit business and doing analysis of your business numbers will show that $115 services aren't the stuff that real businesses are built on. If you work for that cheap - you might as well go 100% cash, and drop all your insurances. Cheap is cheap, you won't win over these customers dropping your prices by 5, 10, or 15% -- these folks want you to work for a company rate of $15/hr. And there is just no real way to run a company on that little.

i live in Connecticut and i charge more then you but i am with Doug too. hold strong to what you want to charge for the roof. i get that a lot when i do estimates up here, people will say "oh the last guy did it for x amount, can you do it for that?" and i will tell them very politely, no, i have a business to run and that they shroud call the last guy to do it for that price and every time they say "oh, well he is out of business" or "i can't get a hold of him anymore" i wonder why?

There is always someone cheaper. Your price sounds fair. There is no way a legit company can perform any residential service for that amount of money.

Consider your costs of doing business. Most companies have a minimum charge thats more than $115. Now most roof cleanings cost more to perform due to the cost off the chemical and the time to safely perform the service. These points need to be coveyed during the sales process and you will close more of these leads than you lose.

Most people would agree that when someone buys on price alone they are normally a headache waiting to happen. We all see the companies that hand write signs on posterboard or old pieces of sheetrock with sharpies and litter the town with crazy prices. Now if someone calls these people they get what they deserve.