Sign in to follow this  
Dan H

Low Water Shut Off

I'm looking for information on a low water shut off switch to shut down the engine when tank water gets to low. Sometimes when I'm behind a house I can't see if the water level is getting low. Some houses don't have the water pressure to keep up with my machine. I found a switch on liquidlevel.com that might work but I don't want to drill a hole at the bottom of a 270 gallon tank without knowing it will work. Any information on the subject would be appreciated. I been on this forum for more than a year and learned a ton. This is my first post.icon7.png

Dan Stafford

Hydro Magic LLC

Monroe Ct

Rob,

It's a 5.6 gpm, sometimes I am using well. Sometime I hook up to water supply and find out the hard way that it's turned off (happened twice) I just want the peace of mind that no damage will happen when I have a brain fart. Thanks for your reply.

Dan Stafford

Hydro Magic LLC

Monroe Ct

Dan,

First bit would be to check the water source during your estimate. You can use a 5 gallon bucket if you have too. Time it and see how much is there in a minute.

Secondly, if you know you are going to a well. I would go ahead and fill your tank at least 2/3 and charge accordingly. I explain this ahead of time to customers and write it also on the contract so no one is confused of the extra charge. We have had certain jobs where we had to just stop and wait for the tank to fill up because we ran out even after all that. So it does happen just not often enough.

Rob,

The shut off isn't something I need, It's just one of those things I would like. I only had a problem a couple of times, but it only takes one to burn a pump. A $50 investment could prevent a $500 mistake. Thanks again for your input.

Dan Stafford

Hydro Magic LLC

Monroe Ct

Rob,

The shut off isn't something I need, It's just one of those things I would like. I only had a problem a couple of times, but it only takes one to burn a pump. A $50 investment could prevent a $500 mistake. Thanks again for your input.

Dan Stafford

Hydro Magic LLC

Monroe Ct

If you don't get a reply from Jerry at Sirocco, Russ J. at Southside Equipment or Paul K. then I would give them a call, they might have a good answer for you. They read the bbs's a lot but they are out working and sometimes don't read all the posts out there.

Let us know what you found out.

I have similar situations, sometimes both residential and commercial locations have good, ok or very slow water supply. Sometimes while bidding you forget to check the water supply but I do make sure that they have some spigots on the house but I am getting better at actually checking the flow on them. I have had to run 2 supply hoses to run the 5.5gpm machine as the flow looked good initially but I guess someone was in the shower, someone was washing clothes and someone was doing dishes at the same time so the water supply basically almost stopped so I got out another supply hose and it did a little better but I still had to shut down.

You cannot forsee all these happening at the same time but it does happen. I have also experienced the same thing on commercial locations also but I have also had spigots at commercial locations that would supply enough water for both the 5.5 and the 8gpm machines with one supply hose so you just never know. I keep extra supply hose on the trailer all the time just in case.

These situations happen in both older neighborhoods and new neighborhoods so you just never know.

If you don't get a reply from Jerry at Sirocco..

Chris, you made me laugh. :{p

..but yes, I can help here..

Placement of the switch is just as important as the type of switch used,

and if you guys want to e-mail me, I'll quickly show you how to do this.

I can supply a kit, with schematic, and instructions.

Edited by Jerry
add-in

Michael from First Choice Power Wash has a good video on youtube about the way he has his tank setup with a switch from liquidlevel.com.Type in FCPWLLC on youtube search and his videos will come up.

Tony, Excellent Information! Exactly what I'm looking for. I also contacted Jerry at Sirocco, He has a couple of options for me to look at.

No problem, glad I could help.I think Im going to set mine up like that too.

O.K. ..

kit includes horizontal level switch,

small 12 volt relay so the switch will last a long time,

wiring diagram with images,

and my phone number.. for any questions.. $ 69.50