Sign in to follow this  
rwhat

Pre-weathering Wood or not

Question

So one of my reps sent this article to me on pre-weathering of wood. I'm a little confused now, as I have always let new wood weather for a season before doing any treating of the surface. I read this article and now I'm not sure what is recommended any more. This article tested paint and film forming materials. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Also this has most my reps and suppliers feeling same way, they also have always let or been told to let surface weather.[ATTACH]18175[/ATTACH]

preweathering wood.pdf

7 answers to this question

For 1 thing the article is over 18 years old. And the wood was tested in a period ending in 1986 (which is 26 years ago). The nature of coatings has changed beyond recognition in that period of time and when it comes to testing I would hesitate to trust anything over 3 or 4 years maximum. Secondly, its basically only discussing film forming and paint, which in terms of the wood restoration industry is likely not your primary coating. It mentions semi transparent finishes (no idea what kind) and admits that pre weathering decreased coverage rate (ie, deeper penetration) which is exactly what we want when using a penetrating oil stain.

You know to be honest I never even noticed the date on this form, as I mentioned it was just emailed to me not long ago. I appreciate that input as I now feel like an idiot for not even noticing the date! Thanks I appriciate the input. You are correct we do not use solids, strictly oil semi-trans. AC is stain of choice for us. I know the solvents and binders have changed since that time.

Edited by rwhat

No don't say that. Not an idiot man, Its a good article for the time, sometimes we just have to stick to what we know works and your experience and results with customers is really the best test there is

Most information you read about wood ( mainly cedar) and weathering is in regards to using films no matter how far you go back. Nothing relating to using oils. If wood sits and gray's due to weathering and you don't know how to prep the wood correctly those are the points were it will fail.

I do a lot of new cedar and use oils. The out come and longevity of the first finish applied is directly related to how long it was allowed to weather. I let it sit 6 months to a year. The longer the better. If you let it sit 6 months you'll get one light to a medium coat in the wood. At one year two light coats. Have to go a basket ball game >>>>>>>

I agree, as i have always done is let it weather "one season", I do notice a longer lasting stain effect as opposed to doing a newer deck that homeowner insists to not wait. I had a new deck turn grey even after staining, as if the stain didn't adhere to the wood within a few mos. That same deck after I told homeowner to give another season to weather before we re-do it lasted about 3 years before it needed to be redone. That article kinda made me re-think that maybe my prep was wrong. I do however like my wood slightly acidic when I stain, I have noticed it last longer than a neutral ph. We have a big pine sided house to do this year, with 2 giant cedar decks. Most of the siding was weathered, but there were places where new siding was added and I had to tell homeowner in his best interest was to let the wood weather til next season. He was slightly hesitant until I explained to him the benefits to weathering and non-weathering. Guess gut instinct is 90% right, my gut had always said to weather the wood, that and I had always been taught that way.

No need to second guess yourself when you know you're right! Penetrating oil stains will ALWAYS last longer if the wood is allowed to naturally weather before staining. I love it when someone mentions pH. It is one of the most important factors in coating adhesion. Alkyds, Resins, Acrylics, Epoxies, etc. will all penetrate and bind best to a slightly acidic surface. Same rule applies to concrete, pavers, brick, stone and about anything else you can stain or seal. If I wanted to give something a second guess, it might be the rep that sent the article. :)

Thank you for the feed back everyone, greatly appreciated. I have been on the site for awhile and not really posted too much, so I appreciate the responses. Best of luck to everyone.