Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

Historic Restoration Project

Question

Here is a house we are to start on Monday - will post pictures during the daylight tomorrow but here are a couple of shots from tonight when we looked at it. I'm going to have to stand a block away to get the whole house. There is a ton of decorative trim (way up high). Note the partial rear shot...that's Roger at the bottom of the pic and he sure looks tiny.

18 answers to this question

Hey Rog,

Are you just going to clean the trim and knock off the loose paint or try to get up close and personal and remove almost all the old paint? I have a job similar to that to bid and they haven't really specified what they want.

We get to get up close and personal with it.....all of the old paint must come off of the siding boards and window casings. The decorative trim doesn't have to go back to bare wood (thankfully, because as old as this place is, the paint is probably holding some of the wood together) but it must be smooth so that the repainting looks good. We are coming in after the first pressure washer blasted some of the wood so badly that they might have to be replaced altogether.

This one is going to be labor intensive with a pretty high PITA factor, but it's going to be one awesome addition to our portfolio :) The contractor is also restoring several others on the same block......could be a very profitable job!

We have the job we just aren't sure what or how we are going to charge yet - that doesn't seem to be an issue for these folks. We're not even sure how to measure it.....we'd need a lift just to do that :)

I would assume that it has lead paint on it? If so are there any guid lines you need to follow? What type of stripper will you be using? If you like I can turn you on to a stripper that is suppose to work wonderfully on paint removal.

Hey Robert what is the stripper that takes paint with ease? We would be interested in knowing too. :)

Celeste, the number you threw at me on the phone last night is way too low. Post some more photos today. Just from what I see, I think you're at least at 3 times what you think.

If you bill hourly, make sue to multiply that number by the number of people on the job site.

If that is lead paint, you will need special gear to wear, and also you have to capture it and dispose of it.

This is the kind of project that can make or break you. Paint is a pain in the butt and usually take alot longer than a standard strip job. Be really careful how you bid this.

Good luck! :) Hope you get it...if you want it!

Beth

Celeste,

Hit me on the Nextel today if you feel like it.

I have some really nifty ideas on paint capture that I'd like to run past you and see if they'd work.

This job looks like it's gonna be a challenge, but MAN! If it comes off without a hitch, what a great one for the portfolio.

Mentally ill from Amityville.......that house looks scary!!

Are they wanting the entire thing repainted, or stain in some areas? That job looks like quite a chore.

Robert,

There are so many potential jokes from your post about the stripper that it could be fun on many levels :)

Just my 2 cents but this job may involve WAY more than you think. Make sure you and the owner are on the same page as far as what constitues an exceptable surface.

good enough for the repainting to "look good" doesn't cut it. You better be specific..prep an area of each surface, siding,trim,window, detailed decorative areas etc to the level YOU think is acceptable because that level is what you're basing your hours on. If its execptable to the owner have him/her sign off ON the sample. This may have to be done with pictures of you and the owner in the same pic.This could be a great addition to your business or a nightmare.

You say you're starting on Monday?? so you are already commited to the job and cost?

Our "starting" is doing (1) having the abatement conversation with the supers - if they are turning a blind eye, we'll likely pass on the job - not worth the risk, no matter how much money (2) doing test spots on the various areas to be stripped with different chemicals to determine the PITA factor and (3) giving them the price - which will be non-negotiable.

We have no qualms about doing the work - yes, understand that it's going to be a bear but we will be WELL compensated or bye-bye. The foreman asked if Roger could do it - he said yes and the foreman said "You're hired". The dollars may change their mind - or not. We'll see tomorrow :)

Celeste,

Give us a shout if we can help in any way - heck, call anyway. We have never removed lead paint, but have stripped many things from wood.

As far as lifts, 60' articulated boom is the way we would go. As far as price... depends on if we are talking about lead paint I think.

Beth

Well, we've done the lead testing and hey........run run run as fast as we can! This one is so full of lead, it tested positive where there was no paint left. Would've been a neat project but not at the risk that we found. :)

Okay, now that you and the owner know the lead scenario, keep an eye on this job over the next few months to see who ends up taking it. If they truly want it done, I'm sure they'll find someone to take on the task who won't think to test, or will believe themselves to be invulnerable to lead poisoning, or maybe has some super-duper environmental protection setup and can handle that type of a mess.

The thing that has us most concerned at this point is that they have been ripping these boards off the side of the house, CUTTING them and then reattaching in other places on the structure. Odds are, if we were to drive by during work hours, there would not be a soul in any type of protective clothing.....I'm seeing an OSHA, EPA, HUD, and any other alphabet soup type organization levying fines up the wazoo - or worse yet, a child in the neighborhood getting lead poisoning. It is extremely obvious that there have been no statutory precautions taken on this job site. Scary stuff.

Celeste

P.S. I have learned a stupid amount about lead abatement over the past two days...in the event anyone is interested, I could start a thread about some of the federal requirements. Most states simply adapt their statutes accordingly.

Celeste,

Start the thread. We should all learn this stuff, if for no other reason than to know what we are looking at so we don't get ourselves into a dangerous pickle by accident. I can see how someone could simply not know about it.

Beth