Sign in to follow this  
plainpainter

TWP vs. A.C. shootout at the Tambasco Corral

Question

I have a few boards of pressure treated 5/4 decking that has been aging outside for two seasons now. I have F-10 from bob and EFC-38, I also have oxalic or esi's citralic neutralizer. My idea is to use 8 oz of either percarbonate cleaner and whatever dilution of acid you recommend - all to be applied by pump up sprayer.

I have several stains as well TWP 500 series and the TWP 200 series, and I have a bunch of A.C. stain as well. But for this experiment I will buy a fresh gallon of A.C. semi-trans cedar and a gallon in the TWP 1500 series for whatever color you folks think is closest.

Then I'll set this board up, stain it, and then take a picture once a day from the identical spot - or I may move the board around, but always take the picture from the same spot relative to the board itself.

So I am open to suggestions to what you guys want to see, what exact steps to 'restore' the weathered boards, one coat or two, what chemical you want me to use, etc.

So let the games begin.....

9 answers to this question

... Then I'll set this board up, stain it, and then take a picture once a day from the identical spot - or I may move the board around, but always take the picture from the same spot relative to the board itself. ...

Daniel,

I know of no one who would want to look at a test board weathering daily. Think I'd trade it for water boarding. How about every three months or so?

Sorry, Rick. I need daily pictures (hi res) to fully compare both stains at a molecular level throughout the process.

So do you. "Close" only works in horse shoes and hand grenades, buddy.

the purpose of taking a pictures everyday is to construct a movie, so at 24 frames a second A year's worth of photos will end up being

15 seconds long. I think it would be cool to see 2 years of weathering happen in 30 seconds.

... I think it would be cool to see 2 years of weathering happen in 30 seconds.

Daniel,

To each, his own. Don't expect too many views on YouTube.

I'm far from a photographer but I would guess that rain, snow, and sun/cloud/seasonal lighting would be a problem. Might be possible if you took more than 1 a day and adjusted the schedule of shoots dependent on sun angle / sky brightness for the changing seasons.

In any event, I'd imagine you would be in for a lot of editing to produce something reasonably viewable. But give it a try, could be a waste of effort or possibly interesting.

Rick, I think it will be interesting to see the weather as well, sometimes wet, sometimes overcast, sometimes underneath a foot of snow. Just have to find a spot in the yard where it won't be uninterrupted.

Rick, I think it will be interesting to see the weather as well, sometimes wet, sometimes overcast, sometimes underneath a foot of snow. ...

Daniel,

I do not think that will work very well with a video at 24 FPS, with each frame taken once each day. Good luck.

Was thinking of trying the TWP on PT soon but the pictures here, our of a deck we did with AC Cedar 2-3 yrs ago and the owner wants a quick rinse and a more brownish look now on this IPE. When we first did this deck we stripped with HD-80 then brightened sanded where needed and applied our AC with lambs wool applicators. It gets hammered with sun and faces the ocean.....The pic with the white rails was the deck when finished 2 years back the other pics are from today FYI.. Well that sucks the other 3 pics our from my iphone wont let me upload says files to large..

post-7950-137772425067_thumb.jpg

Edited by thinkpaint1