Sign in to follow this  
John T

A "Non profit 501c3 org and a "For profit Association"??????

Question

1-What do you see the benefits are by joining a "A Not for profit 501c3 org" Can be for your business?

2-What do you see the benefits are by joining a "For Profit Association" for your business??

I belong to both the PWNA which is a 501c3 non profit organization and the PWRA which is a profit association. Yesterday a friend in the industry called and we chatted about a few things things industry related and he knows I joined the new "PWRA" and he asked what's the benefit to a guy like myself in joining them.

The easy answer is and I could give a few, is that I can purchased some marketing pieces such as postcards at a tremendous discount rate that one of the owners of the PWRA gets who purchases over a Million pieces. So to just get the same rate he does probably will save my membership fee alone and don't forget my fee is also a tax write off.

The PWNA I received work and valuable networking connections along with some valuable class work and priceless memories that I can take with me..

So for me these two work....because I work them. I haven't worked my local parking garage association and my ***** membership I terminated it because for me it wasn't working at this time.. After I terminated my membership there I called there president and he said there really not ready for new membership yet so maybe I'll look at that again when the time is right.

So wants some other thoughts about joining "non profits and for profits" as it pertains to your business???

29 answers to this question

I'm surprised that no one took an interest in this type of question. It makes you wonder at times that the industry as a whole just doesn't care enough to be united most of the way through. Lobbying for work for this industry is 0 to none unless a different mindset comes into play with a strong charismatic leader comes along and he can unite 1000's. Not hundreds..

Maybe some people should start stepping up.. Maybe I should step it up also and just go for it.. If I can get Jim Grady, Everett, and a few other guys to Run for a position the PWNA can move along at a more rapid pace. This is about the whole and not the some of the parts. Perception is everything in this business and I would look to make a sudden move that will be a good news story.. Jump right thru history and make a very determine woman who will this time not let anyone or any outside factors to deter her, she has to be a valedictorian type person who you know is smart by just talking to her.. And what she has accomplished..

This is the time to go for it all and I know she will tell me to take a hike.. But an org needs her to really succed. And when she was a past exec. Board member she was one of the strongest reasons the PWNA had a strong membership base.

This can't be denied because I was there. I would take the slot that Everett wanted me to take before he said he had enough-- Chair of the ethnic committee. Heck I already know Peter King whose the chair of the house for Homeland Security.. Whatever it is something has to be done.. If it's the ***** who even though I terminated my membership there until next year possibly(I probably got a 5 yr banned for doing whats in my rights with membership there) if there ready to rock and roll let them start coming out with there ideas.

First thing I would do with the ***** is getting them to an event ASAP. Make it a little RT.. Something to get the juices flowing.. Hey here's one for ya.. Just do a convention.. GO FOR THE JUGULAR. And plan fast and forget the baby steps.

I could call right now and block off a few rooms in about 15 minutes if you gave me a time frame. Do it where planes land cheap. Go cheap but bring some of the wives who can spruce up a place in a matter of minutes. Example being an American Legion Hall. Have all types of banners and ribbons hanging off the ceilings. That hall will cost you around $300 a day. Then cater it for probably $15 a day for some real good food. Have a roving bar in there where 2 drinks can be paid thru a raffle for each member there then the rest is on them. Do this with all the machinery around. Make this room do it all "Steve Jobs style" have all the equipment in the room on one end and also a drop down large movie screen.

Do this like planteriam with that futuristic music(no subliminal messages allowed like the PWNA suck --sorry Tony **************.. But makes this cutting egde. Blow the people away there with excitement, dreams and realities. Bring some industry motivator speakers and also bring in a celeb with the idea you tell the Celeb that this model is setup to get guys to join there industry orgs who in turn will teach them over and over on how to market their business, classes for doing there business and machinery for them to look at that can be used for there business.

Have an opening and closing remarks by the President who has to be well informed and very practiced to lay it al out ther And anyone else who feels compelled to say something positive.

This my friend is a way to jump start and move things fast "With a plan"

I could set this up in 2 weeks most. Someone in the ***** refuse my termination or shorten it and get me on my 3rd convention committee and since The other two I did were enormous successes.. And knowing most volunteers Peter out, I grow stronger..

I would offer this service back to the ***** because now this is against the norm in here but I actually believe Robert and his visions and this org he started it so the man would get the proper respect he deserves which doesn't mean hes to be a chair of anything. If you want to be nice you make him a chair Emeritis where he will always be labeled as the chair emeritus which is more of a retired position but he's given the proper respect he deserves because for the very least he invented the *****. The chairs can call upon Robert as he can them. He will remain influential and that is important.

So as Michael Jordan says -- just do it!! With a little speed ball behind it to really get into motion so we can have others beat down our ever move.. But at least where moving and determine to get to the end goal where Carlos Gonzalez got us to.. But this time I think us guys learned from that.. This can be done.. I've been there before and yes there's work involved but....JUST DO IT....NOW!

There is much more to an org than hosting an event John. Much much more. Most of which has to happen first

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Forget about my I-pad spell disasters above such as Ethic commitee chair zapping in as Ethnic committee chair. The downfall of using an I-pad..

Of course there is so much so much more then just what I said. Much much more.. But stagnation is a terrible thing. People loose interest so much faster today because of there attention spans are shorten with all the availability of everything that's out there..

I keep In touch still with some prominent ***** members from time to time. The typical remark I get is "John what did you hear, Are they really doing anything??" I know some might not believe me on this but it's true.

An org is not just about the convention alone but it's a huge part of it because it gives members the opportunity to go to a nice event staged by the org. They belong to.

I know what it's like to get an org. to succeed because I've been part of that process twice within this industry and it worked pretty well. When I was a board member of the PWNA I think I was excused out of 2 calls in 3 yrs. The membership went up not as fast as some BOD members would have liked but it went up by a couple of hundred.

The ***** I knew I didn't have the time to be a TT member and I really didn't want to get involved at all. Just wanted to enjoy my membership like most people do.

The only reason I got involved was because Scott Millen couldn't make the Convention Committee calls so I got asked to fill in for him. The only call I can think of I missed there my wife Kathy filled in. That Convention was a success if you ask most people that went to it..

So I think I have a very good idea on how to get an org. To work.. I also understand that org's are a "Long" thought out process that move at the speed of molasses. This part is frustrating to me because there are so many things that can be done in a very little amount of time...

Either way most things I've seen from being on the inside should not be to hard to make happen.

And this is where I would differ with most of these orgs and it's based on my business model-- just make it happen.

I did it last year by making the necessary calls and getting proper approvals. So it can be done.

Hopefully the ***** does have a convention again and when and if they do they have a good one to gauge it to which was the one we did in 2009.

Good luck.

Edited by John T

John we will bring it up at the BOD after the Next, our agenda is full this week. I will ask you to submit a letter of reinstatement.

Thanks for the opportunity Ron and I really mean that. I'm itching to do something and I think you can see it. I can't keep myself mentally still. The one thing I couldn't do is go back to any group that I was involved with under any type of probationary status or "second hand" citizen type membership packed with warnings. I would accept a free and clear membership because I did probably more then 90% of what most members do when they joined one of these org's and I think my record on that stands for itself.

My drawbacks is I can push the envelope to far and rarely I do that but unfortunately I did do just that to the ***** a couple of years ago and I fixed that as best I could on my own to mend those fences.

If you needed references I've been told that in my time as Union president in my last job I was the best they ever had and still told that to this day(I took on a lot then but the best thing i did was as a VP was to be able to find the loop hole to village law where we can't solicit money and now every year my job raises 30-50grand a year just thru mailers).

The PWNA I would get the support of the ones who know me because they know I have a labor type mentality that's not afraid to work.

The one thing I have to add here is no matter what a moderator of a bulletin board that belongs to an org should "not" be allowed to moderate a board member of his own or another org. Publically. If there is a something perceived wrong they can tell the person via email of what there doing is in violation of the bulletin board and if there is nor change there then it should be reported to another MOD on that board and he or she can either do something or let it go.

If this doesn't happen it will continuously cause a fundamental breakdown of the organization system on the net.

Two examples of this was myself having the ability to moderate Doug ********** who is a VP and other org members moderating Jim Gamble who has a chair slot. Non org members that are moderators should handle anything they see wrong.. This one is just one of my opinions I see that hurt the two orgs in question..

So in closing if you feel I can come back in with a clean slate then I'll rescind my resignation thru a letter.. If you think I need to get like a probationary status I'll pass. I saw that happened to a few others and I know I don't deserve that just like I didn't think I deserved a ban I was given because of how it was given recently.. And battling is not what I really do nor do I like it.. It's getting something done that is positive is what I like to do or just enjoy my membership like everyone else hopefully can..

Man I can type long post:excitement: so long I'm starting to get less and less views while my spelling and grammar look worse because my post are to long to recheck--DOH!!!!

Thanks for the opportunity Ron and I really mean that. I'm itching to do something and I think you can see it. I can't keep myself mentally still. The one thing I couldn't do is go back to any group that I was involved with under any type of probationary status or "second hand" citizen type membership packed with warnings. I would accept a free and clear membership because I did probably more then 90% of what most members do when they joined one of these org's and I think my record on that stands for itself.

My drawbacks is I can push the envelope to far and rarely I do that but unfortunately I did do just that to the ***** a couple of years ago and I fixed that as best I could on my own to mend those fences.

If you needed references I've been told that in my time as Union president in my last job I was the best they ever had and still told that to this day(I took on a lot then but the best thing i did was as a VP was to be able to find the loop hole to village law where we can't solicit money and now every year my job raises 30-50grand a year just thru mailers).

The PWNA I would get the support of the ones who know me because they know I have a labor type mentality that's not afraid to work.

The one thing I have to add here is no matter what a moderator of a bulletin board that belongs to an org should "not" be allowed to moderate a board member of his own or another org. Publically. If there is a something perceived wrong they can tell the person via email of what there doing is in violation of the bulletin board and if there is nor change there then it should be reported to another MOD on that board and he or she can either do something or let it go.

If this doesn't happen it will continuously cause a fundamental breakdown of the organization system on the net.

Two examples of this was myself having the ability to moderate Doug ********** who is a VP and other org members moderating Jim Gamble who has a chair slot. Non org members that are moderators should handle anything they see wrong.. This one is just one of my opinions I see that hurt the two orgs in question..

So in closing if you feel I can come back in with a clean slate then I'll rescind my resignation thru a letter.. If you think I need to get like a probationary status I'll pass. I saw that happened to a few others and I know I don't deserve that just like I didn't think I deserved a ban I was given because of how it was given recently.. And battling is not what I really do nor do I like it.. It's getting something done that is positive is what I like to do or just enjoy my membership like everyone else hopefully can..

Man I can type long post:excitement: so long I'm starting to get less and less views while my spelling and grammar look worse because my post are to long to recheck--DOH!!!!

There are for the First time since Carlos Opened the org like 20 or more Men an Women working Hard John.

I have 9 Bod Seats who will determine what's going to happen. Submit the Letter simply you would like to withdraw your resignation.

John I will not discuss further here with you because I do not make this Decision alone. Its pretty much That Simple.. as you have stated above a Non Profit has procedures an rules to be followed.

There are for the First time since Carlos Opened the org like 20 or more Men an Women working Hard John.

I have 9 Bod Seats who will determine what's going to happen. Submit the Letter simply you would like to withdraw your resignation.

John I will not discuss further here with you because I do not make this Decision alone. Its pretty much That Simple.. as you have stated above a Non Profit has procedures an rules to be followed.

Excellent..point taken.

I think John should go through some sort of 12 step program or a reunification program for getting back into to family business .

Love it... Just when I thought I was out I get dragged right back in:devilish:

There is much more to an org than hosting an event John. Much much more. Most of which has to happen first

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Couldn't agree more Charlie. I think "Jumping the gun" on a convention before more important business is taken care of first is futile and will have a negative impact, I think history has already shown that.

It is amazing how history keeps repeating itself over and over in many different ways. hahahahaha O Well.

Good one :beguiled: maybe next time Chris you'll want to get involved...maybe:wink:

Couldn't agree more Charlie. I think "Jumping the gun" on a convention before more important business is taken care of first is futile and will have a negative impact, I think history has already shown that.

Can't argue with that Guy. I'm looking at something else that's not a convention thing but your right..hopefully history the way things ended up does not repeat itself:star:

It is amazing how history keeps repeating itself over and over in many different ways. hahahahaha O Well.

I promise this Org history will not Repeat the Past .....Yes the past has been mistake after Mistake. PERIOD

- - - Updated - - -

I promise this Org history will not Repeat the Past .....Yes the past has been mistake after Mistake. PERIOD

If and when you have another ***** Convention if you can pull this off you did alright. The Guys I worked with did a heck of a job pulling this convention off... we didnt do everything wrong:surprise:

and a couple of more things we did pretty good at. As for the Jim Gamble Picture I asked Jim along with some other guys to come to the ***** Convention and he did. Since Jim wasn't accepted to be on a bulletin board no less I asked him along with some others to get involved with the PWNA and he did...

We don't have to all like each other but for those couple of days in Orlando with that ***** Convention we pulled off was exciting as heck. Everyone to this day that I speak to and that Convention comes up they loved it. The cart didnt go before the horse on that one. It was well thought out way in advance and yes some rookie mistakes were made... That is something that the newjacks should learn from. Don't over reach when money is involved because it could bite you in the azz and if I got on a little sooner because of past experiences I think I could have saved them a few $$$ with the room block totals... but all in all if your a ***** member today or yesteryear and you were at that convention I'd be willing to bet you enjoyed it.

I think the new Board can top that Convention and I hope they do but ours came out the way it did because we planned and planned and planned some more and if a few of us myself included didnt get caught up in something that could have been fixed I have no doubt in my mind we could have doubled at the very least the membership total back then and the next convention would have also doubled in size. It was all there in the workings but............ well now its on you guys and hopefully your day will come where you can plan this rewarding event and pull it off... there to me always a great time all the way around.

Good luck

No this time around it will not repeat itself, PERIOD

Great attitude Ron:cool: These bb's expression isn't there on the typed words so hopefully this comes out right. Above your remark is in line with the way I approach things.. "Failure is not an option--Period". So the question then is it worth it...and if it is..I'm all in. This is mostly on my work life and what I get involved in or just work in general.

When over the years we see people we know come and go and then there selling there equipment because things didn't work out for them and they tell you so... You kind of feel bad for them as if you could do something but you really can't.

If there is ever a piece of advice I could give anyone because I came close myself a few times due to taking to much of a risk would be this--- Just refused to Fail!! Things are bleak then work Smarter which trumps Harder which is important also. Find a way to Just not fail. Refuse to fail...but it has to be worth it and once that is figured out like a newbie starting a business or whatever it maybe.. You have to take the bull by the horns and just refused to fail.. Sounds crazy but it works--- all this I get out of your quote above(I know long post once again:smile:

I love those org shots. I have to start taking more pics again for the masses who like to attend events in this industry.

I love those org shots. I have to start taking more pics again for the masses who like to attend events in this industry.

You should have been at the great NCE event last year in Tampa, Florida.

It was a great event, lots of great prizes throughout the whole event, great classes on lots of topics, lots of certification classes and there was the fundraiser event for Make A Wish where we helped raise a lot of money to have a wish happen for a child which made it an even greater event.

It is really nice when we all can help give back to the kids out there and with the Make A Wish there, it was just that more special of an event.

I don't remember how much was raised but I am sure that Ron ********** or Paul K know how much and all the particulars.

Lots of pictures were taken and posted over at *** but I am not sure if it was discussed much over here.

It really is a great feeling helping out the kids with events like that one, especially where a wish was granted.

The only one I wish I made it to was Paul Kassandra's at his shop. I've done business with Paul in the past and if he does another one I'm going to try and make it. You should of went to the PWNA Convention last year..it was off the charts successful. Hopefully I'll cya at this years show:)

I was there last year at Paul's shop there in Milwaukee, it was great!

We got to see the Sirocco 40" vacuum recovery surface cleaner, got to see some different brands of regular vacuum recovery surface cleaners, different machines, some of Paul's designs on other frames that take up less space/more compact and got to listen to Ron M talk about getting more work from PM's, listened to Jerry from Sirocco about recovery systems and being compliant and more, listened to Paul about pumps and burners and some other great stuff!

Paul's event was great! I will be going to another when I can.

I met Paul at one of the Conventions I worked on with a few others back in 2009. I deal with so many different distributors that I only bought a few things from Paul but he always came thru when I needed something. He's good people.