Sign in to follow this  
Douglas Hicks

Sweet potatoes, planting

Question

Dee is in a dither, and I am suffering. Please someone have some pity on me.

Dee is planting stuff. Now she wants to plant a sweet potato. Do you stick the whole thing in the ground? Cut it in pieces and plant them? In hills or in furrows? How deep?

I hope this does not turn into a foamer post!

3 answers to this question

That is what I was looking for. I googled and got move to Ask, which sent me on a round robin search where the same pages popped up.

Now, after harvest, what PSI do I use to clean them and can I use sodium hydroxide or simple cherry? Hot or cold water?

I think with sweet potatos you really want them clean so I suggest around 2500-3000 or more psi and hot water. A typical roof wash should do the trick. For extra cleaning power, don't forget the turbo nozzle.

Seriously though, my wife wants to plant all sorts of things in our yard but I am the one who has to take care of it. I want grass and nothing else, no flower beds to weed. Heck I do not even want grass, I wish I had an Arizona style yard, rocks. That being said we did plant some rasberry bushes earlier this year. We got into homebrewing beer and wine. We hope to make a rasperberry wine soon, although I think we now only have 2 plants that survived out of the 6 we planted.