Sign in to follow this  
Craig

Keep your hands warm, dry and clean (a tip for newbies)

Question

I just thought I'd share a tip for those guys who do work and still have wet, dirty cold hands! Maybe this thread will start some others on what attire you're wearing to keep dry and (somewhat!) clean..

I like and I'm sure others out there like to wear those thin leather gloves that wrap tightly around your hands. Having finger dexterity and freedom of movement is very important.. but how do you keep them dry without buying those big bulky waterproof gloves?

The answer is simple. Buy a box of those vinyl (latex free if you want) disposable gloves. They're the kind that doctors wear and you can buy them almost anywhere. They usually come in a box of 50 and run you about 4 bucks. Wear them under your normal glove and they'll keep you dry, clean and warm. Throw 'em away when you're done... they're cheap!

2 answers to this question

Great suggestion Craig. Might I also suggest what I have been doing for the last few years? I buy neoprene fishing gloves (K or Wal Mart - about $8). They won't keep your hands dry, but they will keep them warm. They fit snuggly, so you still have dexterity. I go through about 2 pair/year.

Craig has a good tip here...We use nitrile gloves under our regular gloves like either jersey gloves or work gloves. When your hands dont actually get wet, they feel cold but dont suffer from exposure to the moisture which is the biggest problem. It actually fills your skins pores and then becomes colder and colder as you work soon reaching freezing temps. As It does, so does your skin. When your skin is dry, its easier to warm up.

We also use warm or hot water so this helps as well.

Great tip!

Rod~