Sign in to follow this  
djrussell

Homeowner Looking to Downstream

Hi all,

This is my first post so will try to tread lightly. It seems like a great forum and community here. I appreciate any feedback someone can give to point me in the right direction.

I've been in my home for about a year and it's needing a good cleaning now. It's all vinyl siding and eaves. There's a brick facade in the front that doesn't look bad. No gutters. I purchased this unit from Sam's recently. At 2.4 gpm and 2700 psi it's nothing fancy by the standards here but is hopefully sufficient for my needs.

I tried using it with two different chemicals, Krudcutter and Zep house washes. The Krudcutter didn't work as it requires 10:1 mixing and my machine automatically is at 20:1. The Zep didn't seem too effective either. After trying both of those my house is maybe 40% clean.

After doing a lot of reading and talking to friends about the pro methods used on their houses, soft washing and downstreaming seem like the only ways to go. If possible, I'd like to set up my machine to do it. My two questions are:

1. Is a downstream injector like this from pressuretek all that's required? I have a "6 in 1" nozzle very similar to this that has 0* and 40* soaper nozzles.

2. Is the machine I chose decent for my needs? I was mainly sold by the Honda engine. I have one on my mower so parts/maintenance are the same. I could still return it though for something better around the $300 mark. With the 0* soaper and rinse tips, it reaches the 2nd story peaks just fine.

3. Will running a typical housewash mix containing bleach be harmful to my gun or hose?

Again, I really appreciate any tips. Let me know if I missed any crucial info.

1. Yes, assuming that the quick connects are the same style.

2. Barely adequate perhaps. Decent?, doubtful. But it will be faster than a water hose in most cases. And for most guys, anything that makes noise is entertaining.

3. Not at all. Assuming of course that you rinse after washing.

Thanks for the clear responses, Tim. Do you have a recommendation for a good non-commercial machine? I'd rather have a more expensive one that will last 10 years than a cheaper one that will last 3 years. It takes a rich man to buy cheap tools so I've heard.

I recommend a minimum of 4 gals per minute. I don't know much about those little machines, but generally a high volume injector or a X-jet will get plenty of soap on the surface. I use the Super Suds Soaker.

I did read RickDel's posts after going back through the whole DIY section. His budget is 5X mine. If that's what it takes to get a decent tool, I'll have to live with my little washer. If I'm just softwashing the house, the only down side would be rinse time, right?

When I search "super suds soaker" all I get are squirt guns and this thread. :)

Google

I apply soap at eight gallons per minute while my son removes it and the dirt with ten gallons per minute so I really can't speak with authority on the smaller unit.

I do believe that it takes pressure to launch water and volume to lift it it so if the sprayer your'e looking at reaches the peaks, it will just take longer to rinse.

The other guy may have been referring to a Super Suds Sucker. See what google tells you about that.

"Super Suds Sucker" is from EnviroSpec. They claim it is 25%+ draw. They also sell 1 that claims 33%. Down streaming is the easiest way I have found to get chemical to the surface. Although down streaming stripper seems be harder.

Hi all,

This is my first post so will try to tread lightly. It seems like a great forum and community here. I appreciate any feedback someone can give to point me in the right direction.

I've been in my home for about a year and it's needing a good cleaning now. It's all vinyl siding and eaves. There's a brick facade in the front that doesn't look bad. No gutters. I purchased this unit from Sam's recently. At 2.4 gpm and 2700 psi it's nothing fancy by the standards here but is hopefully sufficient for my needs.

I tried using it with two different chemicals, Krudcutter and Zep house washes. The Krudcutter didn't work as it requires 10:1 mixing and my machine automatically is at 20:1. The Zep didn't seem too effective either. After trying both of those my house is maybe 40% clean.

After doing a lot of reading and talking to friends about the pro methods used on their houses, soft washing and downstreaming seem like the only ways to go. If possible, I'd like to set up my machine to do it. My two questions are:

1. Is a downstream injector like this from pressuretek all that's required? I have a "6 in 1" nozzle very similar to this that has 0* and 40* soaper nozzles.

2. Is the machine I chose decent for my needs? I was mainly sold by the Honda engine. I have one on my mower so parts/maintenance are the same. I could still return it though for something better around the $300 mark. With the 0* soaper and rinse tips, it reaches the 2nd story peaks just fine.

3. Will running a typical housewash mix containing bleach be harmful to my gun or hose?

Again, I really appreciate any tips. Let me know if I missed any crucial info.

Send me your address will ship you one out Monday doc .. Free

Text me anytime for question 480-522-5227