Sign in to follow this  
KGILL

fence cleaning

Question

I have avoided doing woodwork since I started this business early this year. I have had a couple people ask me recently about it so I figured I would give it a shot but obviously wanted to practice first. Here are some pictures of an area that I did. I still need to let it dry, sand, then stain.

I used 240 degree water, 2500 psi, turbo nozzle with 12.5 SH.

post-9121-137772432601_thumb.jpg

post-9121-137772432564_thumb.jpg

post-9121-137772432586_thumb.jpg

15 answers to this question

For all you woodies out there....hopefully you did not have an aneurysm. I didn't actually use hot water, turbo nozzle, high pressure or 12.5.

Oh holy smokes. When I read that I about spit out my coffee! No need to sand that, it doesn't look too badly furred from what I can see. Just needs some good stain. Don't ever use anything more than a 25 degree nozzle at about 10" away. Keep the pressure low and let the chems and flow do the cleaning and you won't have issues.

For all you woodies out there....hopefully you did not have an aneurysm. I didn't actually use hot water, turbo nozzle, high pressure or 12.5.

There is nothing wrong with using 2 parts 12.5 mixed with 3 parts water and soap. You can rinse real good and brightened if you want.It might make that PT pine fence look better.

Sorry Seymour, I meant using 12.5 1:1 with water.

Actually used 12.5 size 40 degree tip which with my machine shoots at about 800 psi, oxyclean, and Benjamin Moore's Brighten. On another thread I asked about Brighten and got what I was looking for. In the future I will go with a better brightener/neutralizer.

I had actually thought about not following up with my original post for a bit but I was afraid I would get all sorts of hate mail calling me hack, idiot, or suggestions on how to pull my head out of a certain dark spot.

Glad you guys got a laugh

Yup, have to admit, you got me. I was about to stamp out a reply on the keyboard with a hammer until I read the second post, lol. You can use the bleach, percarb, and then a better brightener. The only issue with the Ben Moore stuff is you'll pay through the nose for it compared to just buying some oxalic.

I have been trying to find a local source for oxalic or citralic and I cannot find any. Do you buy local or go through a distributor not near you?

I have been trying to find a local source for oxalic or citralic and I cannot find any. Do you buy local or go through a distributor not near you?

Do you have a distributor for 12%?

Fence looks good....

Now get it sealed. :-)

Beth

Yes ma'am but it will be awhile. According to the weather people, it does not look like we have a rain free period anytime soon.

Do you have a distributor for 12%?

Only the local pool stores which sell 1 gallon bottles. I have not been able to find any larger containers, or somewhere I can have a chemical tank filled.

Only the local pool stores which sell 1 gallon bottles. I have not been able to find any larger containers, or somewhere I can have a chemical tank filled.

Ah ok I have the luxury of living in Houston where we have chemical plants like crazy.

Is David in mufreesboro real far from Knoxville?

About 3 to 3.5 hours away. I will probably order materials from him if I get into wood. Some time ago I posted asking for labor for learning and apparently he replied soon after but I never saw any alerts telling me someone replied. I am having the same trouble on ***. The only reason I know anything about him is he liked my facebook page and I looked at his website.

There is a local pressure washing distributor here in Knoxville, but they do not have any wood cleaning chemicals.

About 3 to 3.5 hours away. I will probably order materials from him if I get into wood. Some time ago I posted asking for labor for learning and apparently he replied soon after but I never saw any alerts telling me someone replied. I am having the same trouble on ***. The only reason I know anything about him is he liked my facebook page and I looked at his website.

There is a local pressure washing distributor here in Knoxville, but they do not have any wood cleaning chemicals.

David is a good guy and will steer you in the right direction... :cool:

If you're not receiving your email notifications try unchecking the box save it then check the box again see what happens.