Sign in to follow this  
KGILL

Practice deck

Question

Practice deck with oxiclean and a brightener/neutralizer from benjamin moore.

post-9121-137772434213_thumb.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Any comments, concerns, hate messages welcome

post-9121-137772434192_thumb.jpg

post-9121-137772434199_thumb.jpg

post-9121-137772434228_thumb.jpg

12 answers to this question

Not bad Keenan but is the wood still grey as it looks in the pics? I don't think that Oxy clean is strong enough to get all the grey off and more of the grey needs to be pressure washed off. You could have made a bleach or stripper mix not real strong to help remove that grey easier then brighten.

Nice try for practice tho...BTW I don't see why you would get hate messages here that's not what the TGS is all about.

An overly strong acid to brighten will also silver up the wood. You can always rewash it if you are not satisfied. Make sure you pay attention to the ratios.

What are you going to seal with?

Beth

Beth,

I think I am going to rewash with better stuff to see if I can get it looking better. As far as what I will stain it with....I do not know what stain brand yet. We have not picked a color yet, and by "we" I mean my wife.

I know I am not going to go with Behr.

I used a pump up to apply but I have seen people mention using a roof pump system. Anybody have good results with that?

I only use my shur Flo set up for spraying all chems as some guys downstream their chems.

If you're using bleach to clean, you can DS it. If you're using percarb, then I would put it on with a pump. I bet you can get a little better than what you've got, but overall it's not bad. What ratio did you mix the brightener at?

Looks good, if you do more there are far cheaper alternatives than oxyclean and brand name brightener. you can buy bulk chemicals (sodium percarbonate = oxycelan) and oxalic or citric acid for brightener.

I meant the brightener (oxalic or citric) not the oxiclean, but that's ok. Did you stain it yet? I second what Charlie said, you can get your chems way cheaper in bulk, rather than the homestore variety. Those are usually watered down and overpriced at the same time. Put some stain on that thing and let's see what it looks like.

Sorry, I missed the word "brightener." I used benjamin moore's brightener and followed their directions as far as mixing. I did not stain it yet, I am going to have another go at it. I had planned on doing it again some time ago but things have been hectic here. Things are slowing down enough I am going to try and hit it Tuesday and let it dry out.

I knew I could get the stuff cheaper and better quality but at the time I was unsure about incorporating wood work into my company as well as I had not found a local distributor yet.