Sign in to follow this  
Bailey Property Service

Need Advice

Question

12 answers to this question

Lee,

Bob's Fatboy puts out 7 gpm., way more than needed/wanted for most exterior wood work. The Deckster with the PumpTec or a Delavan/Shurflo setup would be more appropriate.

All depends on if you're buying this to work on wood or roofs & concrete.

Wood, stay with the deckster, low gpm and very controllable.

Need lots of chem on a roof, or on concrete? Go with the flatboy.

I just built a small hand cart for pumping caustic and acid with a 2 gpm delevan. When I ordered mine, I was sent the fatboy, and although it was a nice toy, I couldn't use it. I had to send it back to get the 2 gpm pump I ordered. It's the 7800 series, and works like a charm for this purpose.

Stay away from the Fat Boy for spraying the nasty stuff. At 7 gpm you'll have it going all over the place. If you try to restrict the flow you'll burn out the pump.

If you have a few decent supply companies around your area, you can build your owns system for 1/4 the cost of a $900+ system. Also, if you have a Tractor Supply store near you, check out their 25 gallon tank / pump / sprayer combinations. I have two (one for cleaning solutions and one for stain) and they work pretty well if you simply replace the hose with a vinyl and the sprayer with whatever is most appropriate for your particular use. Recently I aquired a wood defender ST-250 Pro setup and am completely in-love with it. I can spray extremely quickly with maximum coverage but honestly the machine is quite pricey $$$.

As far as equipment and product goes, I did not see anyone post anything about the wood defender products. Anyone have experience with their products? I have used them now since april and except for the price I am quite pleased with their performance.

Those set ups are like 4-5k right? I can be just as productive with my shur flo pump costing under $200 wands and hoses etc.

I don't like having to dump all my stain in a big tank cause I use different colors.Also I don't like pulling trailers in Houston.

Edited by seymore

Those set ups are like 4-5k right? I can be just as productive with my shur flo pump costing under $200 wands and hoses etc.

I don't like having to dump all my stain in a big tank cause I use different colors.Also I don't like pulling trailers in Houston.

I can certainly understand not wanting to pull a trailer in Houston ~ lived there and would agree it would be a beast! I started out with a shurflo type setup and actually prefer that setup to the ST-250 trailer as far as ease of use and weight, but what I have found is that I can spray about three times faster with better coverage and penetration with the higher pressures from the ST-250. The other advantage with having the tank is less transfer time from can to can and less potential product loss. Also, the ST-250 does have a siphon hose that allows you to go can to can. I have found an electric pump I may experiment with that is supposed to deliver pressures up to 200 psi. Biggest concern is the pressure at the nozzle ~ pushing through 300 ft of hose and you greatly reduce your pressures.

I can certainly understand not wanting to pull a trailer in Houston ~ lived there and would agree it would be a beast! I started out with a shurflo type setup and actually prefer that setup to the ST-250 trailer as far as ease of use and weight, but what I have found is that I can spray about three times faster with better coverage and penetration with the higher pressures from the ST-250. The other advantage with having the tank is less transfer time from can to can and less potential product loss. Also, the ST-250 does have a siphon hose that allows you to go can to can. I have found an electric pump I may experiment with that is supposed to deliver pressures up to 200 psi. Biggest concern is the pressure at the nozzle ~ pushing through 300 ft of hose and you greatly reduce your pressures.

So you are not having tons of over spray?

What's your sqft/ gal on avg fences or deck if you do them?

If you have a few decent supply companies around your area, you can build your owns system for 1/4 the cost of a $900+ system. Also, if you have a Tractor Supply store near you, check out their 25 gallon tank / pump / sprayer combinations. I have two (one for cleaning solutions and one for stain) and they work pretty well if you simply replace the hose with a vinyl and the sprayer with whatever is most appropriate for your particular use. Recently I aquired a wood defender ST-250 Pro setup and am completely in-love with it. I can spray extremely quickly with maximum coverage but honestly the machine is quite pricey $$$.

As far as equipment and product goes, I did not see anyone post anything about the wood defender products. Anyone have experience with their products? I have used them now since april and except for the price I am quite pleased with their performance.

Hey Bryan - That ST-250 Pro setup looks fantastic! I bet you do love it. I never thought about the Tractor Supply option. How much hose did you run on those, and from your experience, how durable are they?