Sign in to follow this  
wdcrvr

AC Blend on PT Deck -- Finished

Question

Posted end of July about my experiences getting my 12'x20' 12-year old PT pine deck ready for stain ... http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/wood-cleaning-restoration-decks-fences-etc/24104-pt-pine-test-pieces-rs-sucked-right-ac-not-so-much.html

Here are a couple of photos of the deck before I began stripping ... shows the remnants of 3-yr old coating of Behr Acrylic on horizontal surfaces and on vertical surfaces. Stripping and brightening method is described in above link. Then did a light sanding to lessen the fuzzies from pressure washer / stripping.

post-9376-137772435227_thumb.jpg

Here then are a couple of before/after stain photos. The 'before' on left of each photo were after stripping/brightening but before stain application. Blended 50:50 mix of AC Cedar semi-transparent and Rustic Brown semi-transparent; stick-stirred 1 gal of each color in a 5 gal bucket; applied by hand with a brush. Also did 4 Adirondak chairs plus a yard swing / A-frame with brush; took 4 gallons total. I estimate about 175 sq ft / gal coverage ... heavy wet brushed coat quickly soaked into the 12 year old PT pine, especially the horizontal deck surfaces. Dried to touch within an hour.

post-9376-137772435238_thumb.jpg

I'm pleased with the outcome ... after many days of work stripping, brightening, light sanding, and finally -- staining. And now the great experiment begins on longevity of the stain. I expect to apply another coat next summer on the horizontal surfaces after a light cleaning ... then perhaps my recoat period will increase to every 2 years on horizontals. Hopefully I won't be stripping it again ... just light cleaning and recoating.

Tom

Tom Hartranft

East Central IL

post-9376-137772435232_thumb.jpg

post-9376-137772435235_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question