Sign in to follow this  
AAPaint

Fence Staining Jacksonville, FL

Question

Check out this fence staining and restoration project we (finally) finished. This fence was submerged under about 4-5' of water during the flood I mentioned in another post. You can clearly see the marks showing how high the water came up. This fence restoration came out real good for how it did look.

post-2623-13777243527_thumb.jpg

post-2623-137772435241_thumb.jpg

post-2623-137772435257_thumb.jpg

11 answers to this question

Thanks guys. Customer was quite happy. When we cleaned it, they said, "I'm impressed". Then when we finished they said, "you guys do really nice work".

Yup, gotta love good responses and happy customers. Got another fence coming up this week. 276 ln. ft. of fun, in the same color too. Can't wait to get on it. Is there an Indian NO rain dance?

Haha....fences over concrete with block pillars dividing each panel equals extra pain in the ashes!

Haha....fences over concrete with block pillars dividing each panel equals extra pain in the ashes!

Adam

Do you wet down the concrete then plastic?

No, we usually just cover everything with plastic where we're working, then put butyl backed drop cloths out beyond that so we're not stepping off of plastic onto concrete with oil on our shoes.

The wet concrete above is where we ran our surface cleaner for the customer at the end of the job. They park vehicles on the concrete there under the house.

One thing I do in case of mishaps is keep a squirt bottle of spirits, rags, and a wire brush handy. If you hit concrete, a quick squirt and scrub will save the day. Or if you hit vinyl, etc. a squirt and wipe will fix it.

No, we usually just cover everything with plastic where we're working, then put butyl backed drop cloths out beyond that so we're not stepping off of plastic onto concrete with oil on our shoes.

The wet concrete above is where we ran our surface cleaner for the customer at the end of the job. They park vehicles on the concrete there under the house.

One thing I do in case of mishaps is keep a squirt bottle of spirits, rags, and a wire brush handy. If you hit concrete, a quick squirt and scrub will save the day. Or if you hit vinyl, etc. a squirt and wipe will fix it.

If I spray around concrete/pavers it's water then plastic then water on top of plastic to hold down it's tough working alone. I keep my thinner in a pump up sprayer it gives me more pressure to get the stain out of concrete faster or it helps on downspouts. Here is this fence right next to a driveway of pavers it was all water no plastic. post-658-137772435283_thumb.jpg

That pine didn't soak up to much RS ? Is that 2 coats?

Edited by seymore

I never thought about using a pump up sprayer. May have to do that next time.

That is indeed two coats of the light brown with an airless sprayer no less, so the wood was saturated with the RS. Some photos I have are much darker, that were in the sun, and these in the shade looked really light. Also looks a little blotchy in some of the photos, but not in person. I'm guessing it's the way the pigments reflect, because I see this every time I use RS.

Btw, I feel for you working alone. That's a lot of work to push through by yourself. I might use your trick of wetting down plastic, just scares me with any stain that might run off though.

(Note: that is over 20 gallons of stain on 100' of fence).

Edited by AAPaint