Sign in to follow this  
dwcoleman

Cabot Australian Timber Oil - How to fix Jarrah Brown

My screen porch stain floor is untreated TF doug fir with Cabot ATO Jarrah Brown - done two weeks ago. It looks like spots were missed or the pigment did not take in certain areas. There are scratches. In other areas it is obvious that the oil pooled and there are very dark areas.

I would rather not strip the stain. I only wish to create a porous surface and then apply something like Armstrong Clark sem-trans mahogony - seems to be a close match. I contacted Cabot who suggested a 1:1 mixture of water and their problem solver product. But that contains bleach.

Any advice on restoring the porosity of the doug fir to allow another stain. I can post photos if that would help once my camera is charged.

I have discussed this with Jake Clark of AC and he suggested posting on this site.

Much thanks

Don C.

Pictures always help so when your camera is juiced up you should post them.

I think all contractors here will agree that a deck should be stripped if you are not using the same stain.You run the risk of the new semi trans stain not soaking in and looking uneven. I'll strip every deck I work on that I haven't stained before.

I don't use AC stain but there will be some contractors that do here and they will chime in.

Doug fir is a difficult wood to seal. How old is and is it tung and groove ? Just get some of the same product rub it in to blend and wipe off. Otherwise , strip it the off and then use AC .

I contacted Cabot who suggested a 1:1 mixture of water and their problem solver product. But that contains bleach.

Don C.

I think what the Cabot guys are thinking is save the oil that dove in but remove the top oils so you can apply your product on top. Might work. I haven't done what you are doing but it's an idea.