Sign in to follow this  
John T

Facebook vs. Bulletin boards.

Question

Where is everybody? I don't have Facebook but I'm hearing more and more that people in the contracting field are going to Facebook more then they are the bulletin boards. Is that true?

Which is the better of the two Facebook or the BBs?

Edited by Beth n Rod

13 answers to this question

Facebook is good for networking, and when someone likes your page, their friends can see those likes, etc. So it's helpful in spreading your name, and not something you should miss out on. The best info is still on the forums, but facebook for networking and reaching new people is great.

Where is everybody? I don't have Facebook but I'm hearing more and more that people in the contracting field are going to Facebook more then they are the bulletin boards. Is that true?

Which is the better of the two Facebook or the BBs?

Well there's that....

;)

Well there's that....

;)

Lol.. Hmmmmm maybe I should go there wadda ya think Charlie?? Am I missing out on anything besides all the hate stuff?? Edited by Beth n Rod

We have a face book account !

Sure we have over 100+ friends and colleagues on there, but thats not were we get our business from. In fact, we do not advertise at all. No phone book, flyers, post cards...nothing. Only some business cards, about 500 ordered every 5-6 years.

Here one for the books......If you were to call 411, our business name would not NOT be listed, yet all of my competitors knows of us very well and as of last year, The crystal Cleaning Company LLC does about 70-80% of all of the permitted Parking Garage Deep Cleaning that requires full reclaim and filtration in most, if not all of the counties in the San Francisco Bay Area.

There are other ways to advertise without costing a dime out of your pocket...without getting a face book account or even going on line.

Don't get me wrong, for the retail market and some commercial, yes, I would agree, face book is a good tool. This is something I maybe discussing at the " Event" in Las Vegas John.

See ya there.

You don't HAVE to have a facebook page, but it helps if you're into residential work. It's a good place to publicly show off work you do, and to attract people who might not see your company otherwise. It's really the networking that makes it any good. As more people like your pages, posts, photos, etc. they spread naturally to other people with no effort of your own. Links from facebook users to your website also help improve your rankings in search engines as well, because google is seeing social networking as a valid gauge of how relevant your website is to certain topics and keywords.

I'll add in that using paid advertising on facebook is not worth it. The return is very minimal, and most users have admitted an aversion to clicking on advertising links there. To top that off, facebook is very shady about the number of clicks they charge for. I know from first hand experience.

I had a number of ads running, and was being charged for clicks I positively was not receiving. I use numerous types of software to monitor website traffic and it's origins, NONE were showing all the clicks I was charged for. Facebook will completely ignore your requests for proof of the clicks they are charging for, even if you send them copies of logs from multiple sources proving you are paying for clicks not received.

So, use it for free network marketing, it will provide some good branding and new customers, but don't bother with paid advertisements.

Back on topic it looks like I may have to get Facebook. I can't stand the kid who started it because I believe in the story that he stole the ideas from those other 3-4 kids to make Facebook....buuuuuut. You can't cut off your nose to spite your face.. So uggg eventually I'll have to add the facebooks and the lovely name of "tweets" puke:pride:

Back on topic it looks like I may have to get Facebook. I can't stand the kid who started it because I believe in the story that he stole the ideas from those other 3-4 kids to make Facebook....buuuuuut. You can't cut off your nose to spite your face.. So uggg eventually I'll have to add the facebooks and the lovely name of "tweets" puke:pride:

Friend me up if you make it to Facebook, John.

Thad Eckhoff | Facebook

I don't tweet.

Edited by Beth n Rod