Sign in to follow this  
Dublin

Trying to match Solid Stain Color...What product?

Hiya Folks,

I received a plethora of advice a few years ago from your collective wisdom with regards to a deck I built in northern NM. Ultimately went with Armstrong Clark on the stain and it's done ok. Truth be told, Jake was fantastic to work with through it all but admitted that no stain was going to last very long in the harsh environment up there. I have found I have to reapply every year but that's ok as my expectations weren't that high with regards to longevity considering the weather up there. The advice I got here with regards to prepping etc...was bang on!

Anyway, I now have a new project and new questions. I'm building an addition on my home in Albuquerque NM (elevation 5800'). The house is an adobe style with a fair amount of exterior timbers/corbels that appear to be finished in a solid stain. I am trying to match the color on the newer construction and not sure where to turn. I really don't want to buy multiple gallons of colors and try mixing them up to get "close". Behr's color chart has an exact color match for what is currently in place yet I shudder to think about using their product. Are there any recommendations for a good exterior stain that can be custom colored? I should note that for the timbers/corbels, they are pine and of course are vertical surfaces. I also have lintels to stain and they are cedar.

Environment in ABQ for those unaware: Very high UV exposure, little rain, little snow, mostly sun, wide temp swings. And very dry (typically single digit humidity) but with wide humidity swings due to the monsoons in the summers.

Oh, and while I've got your attention, any recommendations for cleaning up said timbers with regards to handling marks etc...? I can't believe how beat up some of these get while being installed. I'd rather not sand the areas as that would just create a different look when stained vs. leaving them rough. Was going to try the percarb route but haven't as of yet.

Thanks much!

cc

Homeowner who should probably take up contracting :)

James,

Both Cabot and Benjamin Moore make good quality solid oil exterior wood stains. Both also provide color charts at retail outlets.

... Oh, and while I've got your attention, any recommendations for cleaning up said timbers with regards to handling marks etc...? I can't believe how beat up some of these get while being installed. I'd rather not sand the areas as that would just create a different look when stained vs. leaving them rough. Was going to try the percarb route but haven't as of yet. ...

Doubtful a stripper or cleaner will work well. Attach a few close up pictures of the areas in question and we may be helpful. A solid stain can hide substantial imperfections on the wood surface.

Thank you Rick! I'll try to get some photos up in the next day or two. I should have mentioned that some of these timbers that have these handling/construction marks are interior and will be finished in a transparent finish (not sure which one just yet). I really don't want to sand them as it would mean I would have to sand everything and that would take me weeks of overhead work. I've read bleach seems to work so I am hopeful that sodium percarb might do the trick but I haven't tried it yet. Still trying to get insulated and drywall up!

Sorry for digging this thread back up. Finally got a couple of photos. They're not very good but hopefully they'll give you an idea of the markings on the lumber I need to stain/seal (these are interior and will be treated with a pretty clear finish). I'd really rather not sand them as that would require me to sand all of it to get similar texture/stain penetration so if there are any ideas of how to wash these, I'm all ears! I also have a door that was wrapped in cardboard but got sun on part of the door so is now "sun tanned" where there was no cardboard. Doors are made of pine and I figure I'll need to brighten with percarb and neutralize to get rid of it. Or just wait until the whole door is tanned :) Thanks for any help!

.post-4396-137772438326_thumb.jpg

post-4396-137772438236_thumb.jpg

not to sure about cleaning your new timbers. but there is a stain i saw in one of the local paint stores called super deck stain its a Duckback product.I never used it but they have 60 tints. check it out