Sign in to follow this  
Christopher

light sensitive chemicals

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to find out which chemicals need to be in dark containers because of light sensitivity. I have some white containers and need to know which chemicals not to put into them so they do not degrade. If anyone knows or knows of a website I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Sodium Percarbonate degrades quickly, but I don't think it matters what type of container it is in.

As far as bleach, according to the study, as long as you use it within a few months, it should not degrade significantly. In my personal experience, it seems to degrade faster, which may be due to the "herbs and spices" I add. I should add that the chlorine I buy comes in dark containers, though it appears to be stored in large white plastic tanks.

Peroxides are very light and heat sensitive. I've noticed that some of the cheaper house and deck washing mixes (like you can get at Northern and HD) degrade over the course of a month or so in a bottle when exposed to sunlight, or perhaps it's just the heat. I don't use them anyway, so it was only a one-time waste.

Also, percarbs have a shelf life of up to 6 months in most cases.

Moisture is it's biggest enemy.

Be aware of products that contain an oxidizer. This will also degrade the product if not kept in an air tight container. It is activated by oxygen as jim had mentioned and exhausts the products power while still in the container.

Rod~