Sign in to follow this  
VanDiesel99

Leaking swivel fittings

Anyone have problems with swivel fittings(such as those that come on some stock pressure hoses) leaking? I think the hot water I use may be burning up the oring or whatever keeps these types of fittings from leaking. I had to have new fittings put on the ends of all my hoses with swivel fittings. Also had to repair my thermostat because it had a swivel added to it. I can understand the hose swivels becoming damaged, but the thermostat swivel should have held up better in my opinion. Not a big issue, just curious about others' thoughts.

I use solid end fittings and screw on a Suttner swivel so that the hose does not kink. The swivels that they put on the end of a hose are only meant to help the hose from kinking when putting it on fixed equipment. I doubt it was the heat, but rather the excessive twisting that they are not designed to endure.

post-12-137772139605_thumb.jpg

I have had just a few swivels go bad on me. I just replaced them with in the field type, hose repair swivel ends. Also when I roll my hose onto my reel I always leave slack in the hose when I get to a swivel. That way the swivel is not in a bind when it is on a reel. Like Alan said I also doudt it is the heat causing failure. Another trick I use is to buy hose rated for a higher psi than my unit, I run a 3000psi unit and buy 4000psi hose, its more durable, I hope some of this makes sense.

RLS

I use one of the stainless suttner swivels at my gun but not he hoses. One of the hoses that I had to replace both swiveling ends was a custom piece to run from my machine to my reel. It was immobile, I believe it was due to corrosion, the swivel actually develops leaks at the base and not the threads. The hot water probably just made the problem worse. They swivels just all happened to be start leaking when hot water was used.

Another thing to consider is your unloader.

If you are using a pressure actuated unloader which keeps the line at full pressure even when the trigger is released, it tends to wear out these types of swivels which creates the need for replacement more often.

I have found that flow actuated unloaders are easier on hoses and their components because the line pressure drops to near zero when the trigger is released.

I am not suggesting that you change unloaders to avoid this problem, but to consider the culprit and why you may need to replace the swivels more often.

I hope this helps...

Rod~

I have a K7 flow type which is definitely what I prefer. My cold machine has a pressure actuated and it scars up my QC's fast and is hard on everything. The swivels leak the most as I let off the trigger, the pressure is building up before the unloader releases it. I have changed out all my swivels, I was just curious why these would be used when they have a very short lifespan and are not easily replaced.

If anybody is thinking of switching to a K7-flow actuated unloader, consider this....they fail FAR more often than a pressure actuated unloader. I'd rather replace fittings.