Sign in to follow this  
Telezk

Stain for a 20 year old deck- HELP!

Looking for a stain/protectant for a 20 year old PT pine deck. Leaning towards Ready Seal, TWP or Armstrong Clark as I see good reviews on them all and based on the recent poll, it looks like they are most used by professionals on this forum. Looking to go with a relatively natural or clear finish that will hold up as long as possible. We live in the mountains of Virginia and our summers and winters are fairly mild. The majority of our deck is covered however one portion is completely un-covered and understandably, it has weathered much more than the covered portion. Based on a couple reviews, we are leaning towards TWP but are unsure whether to go with the 100 series or the 1500 series.

Has anyone used TWP, RS and Armstrong and if so, what are the biggest differences.

Can anyone tell me what the big difference is between the two- TWP 100 is 550 VOC compliant whereas 1500 is 350 VOC compliant and the 100 has 29-31% volume solids vs 1500s 56-57% volume solids?? what does this mean?

I think we want to go with an oil based product for a longer lasting job - is this correct?

Will we be better off to go with a product with more color than a clear to maximize protection?

Any help would be appreciated!

Doug

Homeowner

Edited by Telezk
Signature

Looking for a stain/protectant for a 20 year old PT pine deck. Leaning towards Ready Seal, TWP or Armstrong Clark as I see good reviews on them all and based on the recent poll, it looks like they are most used by professionals on this forum. Looking to go with a relatively natural or clear finish that will hold up as long as possible. We live in the mountains of Virginia and our summers and winters are fairly mild. The majority of our deck is covered however one portion is completely un-covered and understandably, it has weathered much more than the covered portion. Based on a couple reviews, we are leaning towards TWP but are unsure whether to go with the 100 series or the 1500 series.

Has anyone used TWP, RS and Armstrong and if so, what are the biggest differences.

Can anyone tell me what the big difference is between the two- TWP 100 is 550 VOC compliant whereas 1500 is 350 VOC compliant and the 100 has 29-31% volume solids vs 1500s 56-57% volume solids?? what does this mean?

I think we want to go with an oil based product for a longer lasting job - is this correct?

Will we be better off to go with a product with more color than a clear to maximize protection?

Any help would be appreciated!

Welcome to TGS I take it you are homeowner? It's says Newbie question?

It's forum rules to have a signature so we know who we are talking to.

Thanks

Whoops - sorry. Yes, I am a homeowner.

Doug

Ok Doug well you found the right place for your wood restoration questions here on TGS.

I've never used TWP but the Baker's Gray Away I use is a similar product to TWP 200 series and looks great on older wood. I have no experience with TWP 100 or 1500 but TWP does use a very high quality oil. You do want to use an good oil base stain to add some life to that older deck.Darker stains will help with better protection from the sun's UV rays.

How bad is the deck or do you have a pic? Is there an old stain on the deck?

I would suggest getting some samples and see how you like the stain.

Ok Doug well you found the right place for your wood restoration questions here on TGS.

I've never used TWP but the Baker's Gray Away I use is a similar product to TWP 200 series and looks great on older wood. I have no experience with TWP 100 or 1500 but TWP does use a very high quality oil. You do want to use an good oil base stain to add some life to that older deck.Darker stains will help with better protection from the sun's UV rays.

How bad is the deck or do you have a pic? Is there an old stain on the deck?

I would suggest getting some samples and see how you like the stain.

Thanks! No I don't have any pics but overall the deck is in pretty good shape. We have pressure washed it and are about to give it a good cleaning with Jomax and bleach. We have used thompsons water seal 3 or 4 times and a few other water seal products every 2 to 3 years but it has been 3 years since we treated it with anything.

What is the difference in products % of solids mean? Twp 100 is approx 35%; 1500 is 62% and 200 is 95%? Does hat mean one will lat longer than another?

Doug

... What is the difference in products % of solids mean? Twp 100 is approx 35%; 1500 is 62% and 200 is 95%? Does hat mean one will lat longer than another?

Doug

Doug,

No. Nothing to do with expected longevity. % of volume solids is basically how much of the original stain in the can that is left on/in the wood after evaporation of all liquids. Again in basic terms, the higher the volume solids, the more coverage per unit measure. The lower the volume solids, the more solvent in the stain promoting penetration into the wood.