Sign in to follow this  
rob.vesh

Info On PW business

Question

Hello everyone, So im new to the business and have lost endless hours of sleep over this pressure washing idea i have. Its quickly turned into a passion spending every hr i have extra on youtube trying to learn .However everyone keeps prices like a close guarded secret. Im looking at starting up with a hot water unit 3500 PSI and a 4GPM. What should i be charging ? Im going to be charging a base price of around 100$ and then the biggest question is what to charge per Sq Foot. Im looking at getting myself into the basics for now. ( Gutters, Driveways, Walkways, Decks and maybe Sealing driveways as an extra and eventually cleaning exterior walls of houses ) ANY tips pointers suggestions anything helps. Oh an maybe graffiti removal if the pressure washing is slow to start.. Thanks in advance Rob

5 answers to this question

Hello everyone, So im new to the business and have lost endless hours of sleep over this pressure washing idea i have. Its quickly turned into a passion spending every hr i have extra on youtube trying to learn .However everyone keeps prices like a close guarded secret. Im looking at starting up with a hot water unit 3500 PSI and a 4GPM. What should i be charging ? Im going to be charging a base price of around 100$ and then the biggest question is what to charge per Sq Foot. Im looking at getting myself into the basics for now. ( Gutters, Driveways, Walkways, Decks and maybe Sealing driveways as an extra and eventually cleaning exterior walls of houses ) ANY tips pointers suggestions anything helps. Oh an maybe graffiti removal if the pressure washing is slow to start.. Thanks in advance Rob

OK, I hope more people like yourself will read this and understand what I'm about to say.............It's Not A Secret!!! No one can tell you what you need to charge because no one knows what it costs to run YOUR Business. What have you set as a Profit Margin For Your Business Factoring In Expenses, Fuel? Labor? Insurance? Length Of Season? ETC. ???

Are you starting on a part-time basis or full-time basis?

Your base price of $100 is for what? A house? How long does it take you to wash a house? 1hr, 2hrs, 3hrs, 4hrs? Personally I have a minimum of $175 for anything we do, I don't care if it's a dog house.

What can you sell??? Can you sell your work at a higher price? If so do so.

Our season starts in Feb-Mar and ends around Dec.-Jan....Don't think you can do that in Canada. Short season factors in price.

I will throw out some numbers that I have read about, some of these prices are 10 yrs. old but maybe give you a starting point (They are not numbers we use)

House Washing.........$0.10 per sq. ft.

Concrete Driveways and walkways..........$0.10 per sq. ft.

Outside gutter cleaning......$1.00 per running ft.

Inside gutter cleaning.........$1.00 per running ft.

We don't do decks anymore & can't tell you about the rest cause we don't do it.

Everything cost more in your Country that factors in.

As for your equipment choice, I strongly suggest you start with 5 or 5.5 gpm (We use 8gpm) machines. The more gpm you have the faster your work speed the more profit you make. Moving up in gpm won't cost that much more and worth every cent.

Hope this helps.

By no means am I a professional, as this is just my side job/hobby, but I will reply due to the fact I have done a lot of research as well and have some experience under my belt. 4gpm is cheaper but I would spend the extra money now and get like Guy said a 5.5 - 8 gpm. Your best bet is to find a used pressure washing trailer, you can save a lot that way starting out. Get a either a big guy or a classic whisper washer surface cleaner. I charge from .07-.10. I normally charge that then drop/add depending on costly/time factors. Get lots of business cards, and try to do people you know first, do it for cheap and hopefully neighbors or friends will see. good luck, it's all a learning process, and I'm still in it as well.

Hello and thanks to everyone who replied. Sorry for my late reply. I'm in Canada and will only be starting this part time to keep me busy on my days off. Thanks Timo, Guy and Graham for the reply and the advice. The 100$ base price was to cover my expenses before I even start a job and I now Realise that after what you said Guy as long as I sell myself which I know I can I should go get that extra little bit of $. I am unfortunately writing back off my iPhone so i won't get into many more question for now. I appreciate all the advice !! Ill be crunching some more numbers .!!