Sign in to follow this  
Paul B.

V-Seal Concrete sealer.

Finally found a local distributor for V-Seal (V-101) and would like to try the product I know the specs call out 150-200 sq ft per gallon application rate - can someone tell me what the actual application rate is on concrete (per your experience).

I normally use Prosoco Weather Seal SL40

It runs about $112 plus tax per 5 gallons (from my supplier).

It's 40% silane content - specs say 125-175 sq ft per gallon.

Actuals: 200 sq ft per gallon on smooth and 150 sq ft per gallon on very rough concrete.

It's a 1 coat sealer that penetrates 3/8"

No film and non-yellowing

Thanks for your help in advance!

What is the application criteria for V-Seal? I have looked at sealing in the past, and it needed for the concrete to be dry for 72 hours prior to applying and another 72 to 84 hours before it is ready for use. I can not block things off for that long.

V-Seal can be applied to dry or damp concrete surfaces. Application to a damp surface is recommended.

Do not apply V-Seal 101 Concrete Sealer when the threat of rain exists within 5 hours of application. V-Seal 101 Concrete Sealer must be allowed to dry. I would say allow 24 hours for light foot traffic and 48 hours for vehicle traffic. This should put you in a safe zone as this sealer is expensive.

V-Seal can be applied with pump up, Shur-flo and airless systems in the 40-100 psi range (based on desired flow rate and orifice size).

The only thing that I questioned was a recommendation to apply a maintenance coat to top 1-4 mm after 3-5 years. I don't remember where I saw it but it's in my notes. Local distributor did not confirm this. Can anyone help to confirm or dispel this?

What is interesting is that V-Seal was developed here in Cincinnati by an R&D company called Cayce Chemicals, Inc. - manufacturing is ???? somewhere else. Its availability is VERY limited here (one obscure distributor that mainly handles asphalt materials and sealers - they are hidden in a small hard to find building. I walked thru the building for 10 minutes before I found 1 person working mid-week). Their prices are not as attractive as I hoped and am in process of negotiating a for a better starting price and quantity structure.

http://www.vseal.com/vseal/application.php

Coverage is approximately 150-250 sq/ft per gallon depending on surface porosity. Most contractors use 175 sq/ft per gallon to bid from $400-$500 sq. ft. / gallon when using as a maintenance mist. Due to the nature of concrete, there are many variables that will determine the amount of coverage. Garage and warehouse floors will get more coverage than landscaping blocks, for instance.

I don't understand the whole maintenance mist thing. Also is the $400 to $500 sq ft/gallon a typo on the web site?

Joel,

That's what I was referring to above - they recommend a maintenance coat after 3-5 years. That $400 to $500 sounds like a typo and probably refers to the coverage for the maintenance coat / mist (400 to 500 sq ft per gallon).

My assumption is that the concrete and coating on the surface will wear off in 3-5 years but the rest remains in tact. The maintenance recoats the top 1-4 millimeters (.04" to .16") layer.

The advantage with V-Seal is that it can and is recommended to go on a damp surface. Most if (not all) others require a totally dried surface. Double check with V-Seal for minimum dry times:

(877) 738-7325.

Chem Masters Poly Seal - glossy film type sealer: (800) 486-7866

$112.50 per 5 gallons

Hard Film in 2 hrs.; Light foot traffic 8 hrs.; Vehicular traffic in 24 hrs; Maximum hardness is achieved in 7 days

1-coat application 3-5 year life 250-350 sq ft per gallon coverage

Optional 2nd-coat application 5-7 year life 450 (+/-) sq ft per gallon coverage

25% solids contents

Polyseal creates a clear glossy membrane over the surface of the concrete.

Film appearance is clear (does not yellow).

Protects against de-icing chemicals, salts, grease, oil, mild acids & detergents

Gasoline, hydraulic fluids and peanut oil will soften sealer if spills are not removed quickly.

Minimizes spalling due to freeze-thaw, premature cracking and dusting.

Dries for light pedestrian traffic in 8 hrs. and vehicle traffic in 24 hrs.

But sounds like you need a penetrating sealer like Prosoco Weather Seal SL40

1-coat application 40% Silane contents

$125 per 5 gallons; 125-175 sq ft per gallon application rate on concrete

or Weather Seal SL20

1-coat application 20% Silane contents

$105 per 5 gallons; 125-175 sq ft per gallon application rate on concrete

Protect treated surface from rain, foot and vehicular traffic for at least 4 hrs after application

Penetrates concrete to 3/8” depth

Take up to 3-4 days to reach optimal water repellency protection

Does not form surface film or gloss (maintains natural breathing characteristics of concrete)

No change to surface appearance (does not yellow)

Reduces severity of biological staining and resists dark staining caused by fungal growth, mold & mildew

Excellent survival of high freeze/thaw cycle

Highly resistive to salt and acid rain damage

All prices are retail - may be able to negotiate better prices

I always encourage to ask - it never hurts!

Call me silly, but I offer 6 concrete sealers for residential work.

3 Film type (at least two of these will also work on aggregate and brick pavers). The prices vary from lower to mid to high-end (of course durability and life expectancy increases from low-end to high-end). This provides the customer with a choice to fit their budget.

The other three (as you may have already guessed by now) are Penetrating type sealers offered in similar mid to high-end range along with increase in quality from low to high.

I provide a brief written description (benefits and protection capability) of both groups, and somewhat more detailed description of all 6 sealers, along with material cost for the customers specific area of application (square footage).

Then I provide a summary area which includes:

- Cleaning and sealing process and cost (in total dollars) for cleaning material and labor and sealer application labor. One price for 1-coat sealers and a higher price for 2-coat sealers.

Some sealers offer a 2nd optional coat that increases durability.

If etching is required I have a price line item and short explanation for it.

Next I show total cost of materials only (for that specific project) for each sealer and number of coats. (I have a mark-up in the price of the sealer.)

With this info a customer can pick and chose a product and add the service cost and have a final price.

I also include a hand written sticky note that gives my recommendation for the best product...

All this is formulated, so all I need to do is plug in the square footage and material costs are automatically rounded to full gallons and totalled.

I found that I could not provide a one size fits all situation that would benefit all the customers and take most of the money available on the table.

My prices range from $0.23 to $0.39 per square foot (all inclusive).

So now you have my strategy...

Hello Guys, ( Jay at V-SEAL )

Reading your posts..very good...but when in doubt, call me direct..we do nothing but answer calls all day for archtects, engineers, P W's, and contractors. V-SEAL has some very sepcial properties that silanes and siloxanes do not have. The maintenance mist is an option, just like anything else in this industry...there is usually a good-better-best scenario. Bottom line is concrete is concrete and our customers need to understand that and quit asking you to treat it and expect it to act like slate, granite or marble. Answers to myths:

V-SEAL was invented in Missouri, the developing chemist is co-owner with the TARA Dist. Group so as to be available for alterations if needed for specific jobs like sate, government, international and unique applications you may have. Fact: The current V-SEAL 101 & 102V4 are an enhanced formula by times 5 from what it was in 2002. ( needed to for bridge work abroad )Our specialty is porous concrete, if we can get in we can perform, if we can't we will tell you what has proved best in field..for ex. Tamms 300-30% solids when an acrylic is needed. Baracade 40 for silane products, StoneLok for polyurethanes..etc..Yes we are national dist. of those products and are available also..more later appreciate all of you...remember knowledge is power..you can reach us anytime toll free @ 877-73V-SEAL [ 877-738-7325 ]

Jay Tarantino / V-SEAL / USA jay@vseal.com